No announcement yet.

I don’t know what to do anymore

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I don’t know what to do anymore

    So I just recently turned 18 and my mom has always been very abusive and it seems like the older I get the worse she gets... I recently just got diagnosed with a really bad form of ptsd which I have from her abuse and getting bullied pretty bad at my old school. She decided to quit work for a while to “ support me and make sure I get treatment “ but she literally just goes to her boyfriends house all day and doesn’t even drive me to my appointments. She also hasn’t been buying food since she quit work and I’ve barely eaten in days but it doesn’t bother her because she just goes to her boyfriends house to eat or he buys her food she told me if not eating bothers me so bad then I should get a job since I’m 18. Although, my psychiatrist and my therapist have suggested that I don’t work and just focus on school until we get my ptsd figured out since my panic attacks cause me to pass out. My mom knows this so when I got an email for an interview she forbid me from going because I need to get my Ptsd under control. But she still says if I want food I need to get a job. My doctor has also noticed that I’m losing weight and my mom lied and said I was Anorexic so she would get sympathy. My mom says if I speak up about it or if I get a job and she finds out she’s going to kick me out of the house and take everything including the clothes on my back. I don’t have friends I can live with or any at all because of the bullying situation. And she won’t let me have a phone so I can’t communicate with my family. And even if I did she’s very manipulative and my family is scared of her so they probably wouldn’t do anything. I don’t know what to do anymore and I’m very scared.

  • #2

    Thank you for contacting NRS. It sounds like you are in a very difficult situation and we are glad you reached out to us. No one deserves to be treated the way you have been treated. It is your Mom’s responsibility to support you and provide you with a loving and supportive environment.
    A potential resource is Child Help – the National Child Abuse Hotline at 1-800-422-4453 or Child Help has volunteers who may be to discuss your situation with you and suggest resources that may be helpful to you. If you are comfortable doing so, you could consider talking to your psychiatrist or therapist and they may be able to suggest resources that may be helpful to you.

    Depending on the state in which you live, the age of majority – the age at which you can legally leave home – varies. In most states, the age of majority is 18. There are potentially alternative housing and other resources that may be available in your area. Programs may be available that could provide housing as well as counseling to address your PTDS issues. We have a national database of youth shelters and supportive housing programs that might be able to provide you with a stable place to live and support as you work toward living independently. You can reach out anytime if you would like us to look for resources in your area and talk more in depth about your options.

    You can also contact us on a confidential basis at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) of by chat at We have volunteers available 24/7 to talk and to help you find resources and brainstorm a safety plan that may be helpful to you.

    We look forward to hearing from you soon so that we can help,
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp