Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice

I've had enough from my dad, we fight on a daily basis, not psyhical fighting, just arguing over anything. He's such a negative thinker and criticises on whenever I do wrong and he thinks I'm cocky that I think I know everything about being an adult. Sure I don't know everything but I do know a lot about human nature and stuff like that. Long story short, I recently finished my course and moved in with my parents and a sister again. They'll buy me a thing or two but they're very controlling. Because they're one of those strict typical Asian parents. I've had enough, I'm gonna move away very soon. I'll leave a note saying don't look for me. If they call cops and report about their son being gone from home. Will the cops really look for me and make me meet them again? I know parents be hurt and all Coz they love me a lot I know that but I have no freedom in my house. Can't go out at night, they question over anything and everything. Even when I'm in my phone chatting with friends. And I hate this happening on an almost everyday basis. I'm 21 in few days. So will cops force me to see them again? I'm not going to my friends either. Just far away from everybody I know because I'm sick of my own kind and want to meet other new people. And I will deifnitely be fine.
    So the main question is, will the cops looks for me and take me or tell them where I am, what I'm upto? I don't want anyone to know where I'm or what I'm doing till next 5-10 year at least.

Thanks for acknowledging

RE: Need advice

Thank you for reaching out and sharing. It is understandable that you would want to live away from the daily stress of fighting with your dad. Setting boundaries with parents who are controlling can be really difficult. Since you are 21 years old, you are considered a legal adult, which means you have every legal right to move out, choose where you live and make decisions for yourself. If you let your parents know you are leaving, they can call the police but the police will not take a report or take any action to find you, since you are an adult leaving on your own power. This is well within your legal rights and nobody can force you to talk to your family if you don’t want to.

It sounds like you want to go into hiding for years. It is understandable to want to start over and meet new people, and moving away to a new place can be a great experience. We are not here to tell you what to do, and you are the only one who can make these decisions for yourself. You might want to consider what kinds of support you still depend on your family for, such as health insurance, tuition or financial support. Your parents cannot legally keep you from leaving, so one thing to think about might be talking to them about your decision to leave. Setting boundaries with parents can be tough, however talking to them and not cutting them off could leave the door open for a chance to have a healthy relationship with them later as an adult. You said in your post that you know that they love you and will be hurt by you leaving in this way. It might be easier for them to accept you leaving if you communicate with them and give them time to deal with their feelings. Of course, if you think your safety is in jeopardy if they know where you are, that would change things. We understand you have your reasons for not wanting to be around family for a while. You might also want to think through your plan for where you will live and how you will survive, as many people who run away without a plan can end up homeless. We are here to listen and support you in any way that we can, and we can talk through all your options and help you come up with a plan to deal with your situation and stay safe. Don’t hesitate to call or chat if you need to talk. We are looking forward to hearing from you soon, and wish you the best of luck.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Thank you

Thank you, I appreciate what you guys are doing here.

Comment

Re: Need advice

Hi there,

Thank you for your kind words. We hope that if you know anyone who is struggling, considering running away, or is homeless to pass our information along. We are available through the online chat, forum, email, and are available 24/7 at 1-800-RUNAWAY. Thank you for your support!

Best,
        ~NRS
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
        [email protected] (Crisis Email)
        1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
        https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x
        or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
        x
        x
        Working...
        X