No announcement yet.

17 1/2 runaway.. can my parents file a report?

  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 17 1/2 runaway.. can my parents file a report?

    I'm 17 1/2 turning 18 in 5 months.
    what can my parents do if i were to run away?
    I'm taking online schooling.
    I have a place i can live.(food, clothing,etc.)
    I currently live in Washington

  • #2
    Re: 17 1/2 runaway.. can my parents file a report?

    Thank you for posting a bulletin. We are glad you reached out to us and hopefully we can provide some assistance. It sounds like you have been able to think about how you would survive if you were to leave. Most states consider a minor any one under the age of 18 (the age of majority). However, there are a few states that consider youth minors under the age of 17, which means at age 17 you’re not a minor anymore. Also there are a few states that may not consider legally a youth as an adult at the age of 17, but the police will no longer take a runaway report or make the youth return back home if found. This is entirely up to the police department’s discretion and to determine.

    Do you think your parents filed a runaway report with the police? Your parents do have the right to file the runaway report if you left without their permission. Running away is a status offense and rare that there are legal consequences. The report is entered into a national database (the NCIC), so that all police in the United States will have access to the report. Your parents can charge the adult that you are staying with harboring a runaway if the person did not notify the police or your parents of you staying with them. Also there is a law for contributing to a minor delinquency in some states, which means that if an adult, had assisted you runaway financially, with transportation, food, etc. It can be a federal offense to help a runaway youth cross state lines (either driving you or providing funds). The best way to find out what your local laws in your area is by contacting the police to ask. Your local courts may also be able to provide assistance. You can go to Washington Courts at: to look up your local court contact information.

    You can also contact:
    Northwest Youth Services at (360) 676-1022 or view their website at:

    Division of Children and Family Services at (253) 872-2270 or view their website at:

    We are a 24/7 non-judging, anonymous and confidential crisis line. We can help process through situation, discuss option in more detail, provide local resources/referrals and help in making conference calls to other services or agencies. We cannot provide legal advice since we are not lawyers or tell you want to do. We are here for support and be a listening ear if you want to call. Our number is 1-800RUNAWAY (786-2929). You are welcome to call at any time and we look forward in hear from you. Good luck!

    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove