No announcement yet.

i want to run away

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • i want to run away

    im 14 and its really stressful where I live right now. my mother beats me when I get bad grades and don't do my chores cause im studying for a test or doing homework. Recently shes been telling me ive been stealing from her and dad. When I tell them I didn't take their stuff they accuse me of lying and then hit me. She says that shes so disappointed in me, that im retarded, that im not her son and it hurts me badly. She started telling me that im a lier cause she says I took her chocolates she was saving for a friend from her bag, when I told her I didn't do it she hit me then told me to pack a few articles of clothing and then was going to drop me off at the police station so they would put me in foster care. I want to run away but I really don't want to leave my dad, brother and friends behind.

  • #2
    Hi there,

    Thanks for taking the time to write us here at NRS. It can certainly be stressful at home when the adults in the household are not supportive. Emotional and physical abuse does get overwhelming and it can be tough to cope with on your own. Abuse of any kind is never okay and not your fault. Doing your own research while thinking about the decision to leave is really responsible and resourceful!

    Generally speaking, your parents are your legal guardians until you turn 18. This means they can decide where you live. If you do choose to leave without permission, your parents can report you as a runaway to the police. Running away is not illegal, but it is a status offense. This means that if your parents knows where you are staying then they can have the police return you home.

    A helpful step is to start reaching out to friends, family members or a counselor at school. Sometimes having an adult advocate on your side can make communicating your needs more effective to your mom. Perhaps an adult family member or a friend's parent can talk to your mom with you about your experience at home.

    Child Help is an organization that advocates for young people in abusive and unhealthy situations. You can contact them at 1-800-422-4453 or go to to talk more about strategies for coping with the situation at home and options for having a trusted adult intervene to help. They can also be another resource to add to your support system while you navigate this challenging time.

    We truly want to be a support for you as you decide on your next steps. We are available 24/7 to listen and help as much as possible. Please do not hesitate to reach out again by phone at 1-800-786-2929 or use our live chat if you would like to talk more in-depth about your situation and explore your options.

    Stay safe,

    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp