Can I live with my grandma?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I live with my grandma?

I want to know if I can live with my grandma. I am 16 and I feel like I should be able to choose. For years I have been told things no kid should ever be told and it's by my mom. This past year I found out that what my mom calls me and what she says to me aren't true. I have never felt so much hate towards me and I have never had anyone make me feel so useless and unacceptable. I have tried and tried to get through it but I can't take it anymore. It has gotten to the point to where I have suicidal thoughts. I need to get out and not be here anymore, I feel so worthless.

Can I live with my grandma?

Hello!
    Thank you for reaching out. We are sorry to hear things are not going well between you and your mom. You deserve to feel loved and respected.
    You mentioned that you feel like you can’t take it anymore and have had suicidal thoughts- we want you to know that we care and are here to listen. You can give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY or you can call the National Suicide Hotline at 1-800-273-TALK.
    Have you talked to your mom about living with your Grandma? We are by no means legal experts, but we could talk through your options with you if you call in. We are here to help.
    Best Wishes,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Re: Can I live with my grandma?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      I want to know if I can live with my grandma. I am 16 and I feel like I should be able to choose. For years I have been told things no kid should ever be told and it's by my mom. This past year I found out that what my mom calls me and what she says to me aren't true. I have never felt so much hate towards me and I have never had anyone make me feel so useless and unacceptable. I have tried and tried to get through it but I can't take it anymore. It has gotten to the point to where I have suicidal thoughts. I need to get out and not be here anymore, I feel so worthless.

Hey! i am 16 as well. and i was able to move out of my dads house to move in my grandmas. all i did was talked to my dad about it and had a good reason for it, he didnt like it at first but he let me anyways. I dont know your situation but i hope it gets better. just dont be afraid to talk to someone about this.

Comment

Re: Can I live with my grandma?

Hello,
        Thank you for taking the time to write to us here at the National Runaway Safeline and share your story with everyone. We are so glad that you were able to talk to your dad and that things have worked out in your favor. Your encouraging words are appreciated and if you need anything else you are more than welcome to give us a call back at any time.
        1-800-RUNAWAY
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
        [email protected] (Crisis Email)
        1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
        https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Hi im 17 and my mother and stepfather are mentally abusive to me and my little brother. Both of us want to move in with our grandma. What can we do? I have talked to them and they said no but im on the brink of doing something stupid and i really want to move in with her. Please help

Comment

• ccsmod16
            ccsmod16 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hello, thanks for posting today. It sounds like living with your mom and stepfather is really taking a negative toll on you and your brother. We are here to support both of you. You do not deserve any type of abuse at all!
            We are not legal experts and do not know where you live, but we can speak in general. In most states, 18 is the legal age that you can move out of your parents’ home without permission unless Child Protective Services is involved or you get emancipated. We know you are 17 and may be close to that legal age, but we aren’t sure about your brother.
            Because you are in an abusive situation and it sounds like you have tried to talk to your mom and stepfather about moving in with your grandma and they said no, you always have the right to report this abuse. Child Help (1-800-422-4453) is an agency that can give you more information on reporting and getting custody transferred to a safe adult, like your grandma. We can also help you make a report if you want to, call 1-800-RUNAWAY. We are here 4/7. If you haven’t already, talking to your grandma about what is going on and having her help you talk to your parents may also be helpful; only if you are comfortable with that though.
            You mentioned being afraid you may do something stupid if you stay in that house much longer. That worries us and our first priority is your safety and well-being. If you are having thoughts of hurting yourself or others, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is open 24/7 both by phone and online chat system: 1-800-273-8255, suicidepreventionlifeline.org and they can help you talk through some of those emotions and thoughts. Calling 911 or walking into an emergency room is also always an option if you are in immediate danger.
            We are here 24/7 by phone and 4:30-11:30pm Central Time daily on our website. Please do not hesitate to reach out again. We are here to support you and to listen to you. You are really strong for going through all of this and you are not alone. Abuse is never okay. Stay Strong!

Can I live with my nana my mom is mean and my step dad is too my real dada is Dead And my nana is not mean at all and she would like to take care of me but last time my nana tryed to keep my mom hit her

Comment

• ccsmod5
            ccsmod5 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi, there,
            Thank you for your message. It sounds like living with your mom is a real challenge; it’s understandable that you wouldn’t want to be in a place where your family is mean to you. Some options to consider are having your grandmother file for custody of you in the courts or perhaps asking your mom to go to therapy with you so you can talk about how you’ve been feeling at home. Here at NRS, we also offer conflict mediation calls if you would like someone to help you have a fair conversation with your mom. If you ever need someone to talk to or need any additional resources, please feel free to call us any time at 1-800-786-2929. We wish you the very best.
            Sincerely,
            NRS

So I'm 12 and I dont want to live with my parents. So am I aloud to live with my grandma? Are my parents aloud to pick what I wear?

Comment

• ccsmod1
            ccsmod1 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hey there,

Thanks so much for contacting us and sharing a little bit about what's been going on; we know it takes a lot of courage to reach out to others. It sounds like your parents aren't giving you the kind of independence that you should have! It must be very frustrating to feel stuck in a situation where you're treated like you're younger than you are. If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

All the best,
            NRS

I want to live with my grandma and that’s it my mother is on housing and has her boyfriend living with us and he’s not on the lease and recently she allowed his son to live with us and I was wondering how my grandma can have custody of me

Comment

• ccsmod13
            ccsmod13 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out to NRS. It sounds like home has not been a very comfortable place for you to live recently. It is understandable you would want to live with your grandma if there are people currently living with you who you do not know too well.

Since it sounds like your mom is your legal guardian you would need permission from her to live with your grandma. It sounds like you your grandma is someone you trust and talking with her about this situation might be helpful. She could help you talk to your mom about how you have been feeling about wanting to leave. Additionally, we can help you talk with your mom as well. We provide a conference call service so that we can be on the phone with you and your mom to make sure you feel heard.

We are available 24/7 by phone (1-800-786-2929) and chat (1800runaway.org) to listen and help. Please do not hesitate to reach out if you want to talk more about what has been going on at home.

Take care,
            NRS

I want to move with my grandma Bach weren’t old school was in no my mom moved me to Leland N.C. I have friends in school but some of them are mean and fake some of them are good friends it’s just it’s different there not like my bffs for life in New Jersey and then I would see family too cause I have no family here I don’t want to move with my dad but I know she would let me but I’m scared she wouldn’t let me keep anything she got me or she won’t love me know more I am happy for my mom and step cause they’ll get to buy house cause Jersey was to expensive but I’m just scared that she’ll forget about me and not want to see me ever again

Comment

• ccsmod13
            ccsmod13 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hello! Thank you so much for reaching out to us. We understand that you are going through a difficult time right now in your household, and appreciate you being open about your current situation.

To begin with, you mentioned that you do not want to live with your mom anymore, because nothing is the same like how it was back home with your friends, and relatives. It’s understanding to feel that way, especially when you’re starting a new school away from everything that is familiar to you. We encourage that you sit down with your mom and step dad, and let them know how you are feeling, they may be able to help you feel better adjusted. You may want to tell them that you miss your friends and family back home, to see if they have any ideas for keeping in touch with them.

Furthermore, you mentioned that if you were to move in with some else, your mom might stop caring about you. It’s common to feel this way, especially when you feel you might hurt the ones that you love. If you would like help talking to your mom about the way you have been feeling, we can facilitate a conference a call. We will be on the phone with you to make sure you feel heard.

Thank you once again for reaching out, we understand you’re experiencing a difficult time and want you to know that you are not alone. Don’t forget we are a 24/7 hotline, so please reach out to us anytime. You can call us at 1-800-786-2929 or use our chat services at 1800runaway.org. Best of luck!

Im currently living with my parents in pa after my dad kicked me out I used to live in ny and I want to run away to go live with my grandma I am not happy here at all I have no friends or family here and I think my dad should take me back but he is mad at me and my boyfriend doesn’t want to do long distance so it’s making me feel very depressed I am thinking of running away what should I do I’m only 17

Comment

• ccsmod2
            ccsmod2 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hello There.
            Thank you so much for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline and sharing some of your story with us. It does sound like you are going through a really difficult time right now.
            One option to consider would be to speak with your father about letting you come back. We know that these conversations can be awkward so that is why at NRS we offer conference calling. Conference calling allows you to be heard and we are there to provide support to you.
            We are not legal experts but if you do leave home without permission your legal guardian could file a runaway report. If the police were to find you they most likely would bring you back home. One option you could consider is emancipation, which would grant you adult rights before turning 18. To find out more about emancipation you can call your local court house or call us for free legal aid numbers. Another option since you mentioned you are depressed would be too speak with a school counselor about what is going on. Sometimes it helps to have someone you can talk to and vent too.
            We hope this information will be helpful to you in your situation. If you have any other questions or would like to explore more options please give us a call. We are here 24/7 to listen and provide support to you. Best of luck!
            NRS
        Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x
        x
        Working...
        X