No announcement yet.

Any way to not move?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Any way to not move?

    My father died last year in October. Since then my mother has dropped me off at, my boyfriend's house first, and moved to Tennessee. Now she's moving to Illinois and I'm living with family friends of my father's. She gave up parental rights.
    She wants me to move in with her when the school year ends. I dont want to go. She has always been irresponsible. And abusive. She had a stroke November 2018 and she still cant take care of herself let alone me, a 16 year old. And I cant take care of her. I have slight mental issues. When I've moved from her my depression has basically gone away. My father was trying to get a divorce before he died. And he would have won custody over me and Joey automatically.
    My mother is emotionally and mentally abusive. She used to be physically. I've been doing better without her. Considering she has anger issues and she's very bipolar. I've been happy and free, I haven't felt like this since 4th grade...

  • #2
    Hello! Thank you so much for reaching out.

    You mentioned that you’ve been going through a lot right now with your mom right now, even though she has given up parental rights to you, and we want you to know that you’re not alone. With that being said, we are not legal experts, but in most states anyone under 18 is considered a minor. If you were to run away from home, your legal guardian can file a runaway report with the authorities. Whoever you end up staying with, may face some charges for harboring a runaway. In your case an option to consider would be to see if your mom gave up her parental rights legally, and who is your legal guardian at this point. I your mom is still your legal guardian, you may want to talk to someone at school like a social worker or teacher, and let them know about the abuse. Since you said she is emotionally and mentally abusive and has gotten physically in the past, you can contact the National Child Abuse Hotline at 1800) 422-4453. The qualified individual who you end up talking to will take your personal information for the child abuse report, and the organization will be in contact to discuss the abuse within 48 hours.

    Along those same lines, you said that you have depression and other issues at hand from your relationship with your family, causing you to step back into those feelings if you have be to reunited with your mom. An option to consider would be to talk someone like a school social worker, or counselor to help you with these emotions and feelings. If you don’t feel comfortable talking to someone in person, you can text a counselor through an organization named the National Alliance on Mental Illness. You would text the word NAMI to 741741, and be back and forth with a counselor, and they can refer you to counseling services in your city and state as well.

    We hope these options and resources have been of some help to you. If you need additional help, or want us to call somewhere on your behalf you can reach out to us anytime at 1800) 786-2929. Best of luck!
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp