No announcement yet.

I need out

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I need out

    I'm 17 years old, i turn 18 in less than 3 months, and i live with my dad and my step mom. i have lived with them for a couple of years now but ever since I've lived here with them i have been neglected, shunned, malnourished, and ignored by my step mom and dad at all costs. I pay for all my own things, my phone, my car insurance, my food, my gas, everything. i do not ask them for a dime. The treat me like i do not even exist to them. its more my step mom than my dad, but she constantly tries to bring me down and cusses me out weekly, and tells me how awful i am, and how ill be going no where in life, same with my dad. my emotional state is so screwed up because of them. i had cps called on them a few years back because i tried committing suicide because i was so unhappy and always scared. to this day, i now have sever anxiety attacks, never want to come home because i do not want to be around them. they constantly told me to leave their house, and no one would miss me if i left. i have a feeling if i left though, they'd call the cops and claim me as a run away and lie and say they never told me i could leave. last year, i moved from where i live now back to florida with my mom, but i was so behind in school there because the schooling systems are different,i would have had to stay in school another year or two in order to graduate. so, i moved back thinking my parents would have changed and they'd be better, but now that I've moved back it was the worst decision ever, because now its worse than ever. they're trying to make me quit my after school activities so i have to come straight home, even though I'm heavily involved in school. i know i am a good kid, i have good grades, play sports, and work, yet they make me feel like I'm the most worthless human being ever. I'm tried of feeling life I'm so unloved.

  • #2
    Re: I need out

    Thank you for reaching out to us. We’re so sorry to hear that living with your dad & stepmom has been so difficult. It’s not ok for anyone to neglect you or make you feel that you should hurt yourself. It sounds like you’re not quite certain of what you’d like to do. We can’t tell you what to do, but we can go over some options you might have available to you.

    In your message, you mention feeling that you’ve been neglected & malnourished while living with your dad & stepmom. If you feel that the way they are behaving is neglectful, you have the option to report what is going on to your local CPS agency. It sounds like they’ve been contacted in the past. Know that if you do reach out to them, they may ask you for specific information on your experiences with your dad & stepmom. If you do not know how to reach out to them, feel free to reach out to us by phone or chat and we can share that information with you. If you feel that you would like help to make a report, please know that you can give us a call and we can speak with you over the phone about how the report would work, and stay on the phone with you if you’d like us to. We are here to support you in whatever you decide to do.

    You also mention that you’ve been told by your dad and stepmom that it is ok for you to leave. If you are considered a minor in your state, your parents would be able to file a runaway report. Running away is not illegal, but it is considered a status offense in some states. If you leave without your legal guardian’s consent and they file a runaway report with your local police department, the police may or may not look for you. If they do look for you, they will either take you back home or have your legal guardian pick you up. If you have questions about how your local police department handles runaway report, the best way to find out would be to reach out to them at their non-emergency number. If you don’t have that info, just send us a chat or give us a call & we can look that up for you, as well as help you make the call if you’d like.

    It sounds like you’ve been responsible for your own care for some time, paying for your food, communication and transportation. If you feel that staying in your school would be best for you, perhaps it would help for you to consider alternatives to living with your dad & stepmom. You mentioned that you would be 18 in a few months. If you are considered a legal adult in your state at the age of 18, it may be possible for you to live somewhere else, perhaps with a trusted friend or relative, until you graduate. You mentioned having lived with your mom for a bit, perhaps she can help you plan your next steps, possibly even helping you figure out who you might be able to stay with if living with your dad is not an options. If you feel you’d like to reach out to us, we’re also here to support you. We won’t tell you what to do, but we will do our best to help you stay as safe as possible regardless of what you decide. We are here to listen & help. We wish you the best of luck. Stay safe!
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp