Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help

I am 17...4 months and 19 days away from being 18...home life is horrible and i dont feel safe living with my dad. could he call the cops on me if i went to live with my mom? i live in missouri and she is willing to let me stay with her until i get stable....

Re: Need help

Hi there,

Thank you for contacting us through our online forum. Home should always be a place that feels safe and comfortable and we’re sorry to hear that this isn’t the case for you now. It’s good to hear that your mom is providing you support by offering to have you stay with her.

In most places, a parent can report their child as a runaway if they leave home without permission, but there are some areas where the police may not take a runaway report for someone who is 17. The way to know for sure how they handle runaway cases in your area is by calling your local non-emergency police number and asking. You can do this without giving you name and an officer should be able to give you this information. If you aren’t comfortable calling the police department on your own, you can call us and we can do it together. One other thing to consider is if your parents have a custody agreement, and if you staying with your mom would violate that.

All that being said, you don’t deserve to be in a situation in which you don’t feel safe. If it turns out you aren’t allowed to legally leave your dad’s home without the police getting involved, we can look into other options with you such as Child Protective Services or legal services.

We hope this information is helpful and that you reach out to us to continue discussing your situation and options.

Stay strong,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X