Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My friend might need help.

I have a dilemma. I have a friend who is very religious and conservative, which normally brings some strict parenting with it. Except that in this case I'm not sure if it's abuse in a legal sense, since it clearly is in a moral sense. She's 16 and has never been alone. She has quite literally never left the house by herself or without her father/mother. Her father works at our school and she is expected to come to and leave school with him and eat lunch in his office, and if she has to do something for a class, he has to know where she is at every moment of the day. She's never told me of any physical abuse, but she has told me that he has a bad temper and that sometimes he will take away her only means of doing homework (her computer) and tell her to just get an F. To me, this is all clearly sick and creepy, but I don't know if there's anything legal that can be done. Please help.

Reply: mY friend might need help

Hello,
    Thanks for contacting the National Runaway Safeline.

It sounds like you have some issues with the way the parenting style of your friend’s parents. They appear to be very guarded about her activities.
    It’s nice of you to be concerned and supportive. She probably appreciates having someone to talk with. Though they may seem extreme we are not legal experts and cannot say if there is any legal recourse she can take.

You might consider passing on our contact information to your friend. NRS provides an open environment where she can talk about her situation and possibly open up some ideas for options.
    How does that sound?

She can reach out to NRS at 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) or www.1800Runaway.org (Live chat).

We hope that things get better for your friend.
    Great job advocating for her.

Take Care,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X