No announcement yet.

forced to move

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • forced to move

    So my boyfriend (16) was left alone with his brother (14) and his mom's friend in their house. His mom left to another state to find a better job and gain more money. Some months later in winter break she buys flights for the both of them to the state she lives without asking them first thus being technically forced to go there. When it was time for him to go back some earthquakes happened in his state so his mom took back the flight and made him stay. He wants to leave and he's planning on returning to his state and move in with his Grandma. Can he legally do this though?

  • #2

    Thanks for reaching out to us. You ask a great question. If your boyfriend's mom is his legal guardian he (and his brother) really are under her care and would need permission from her to move in with their grandma. If he leaves his mom's care without permission she could file a runaway report on him and anyone he stays with could be considered harboring a runaway, which is a misdemeanor.

    We'd like to help further but probably would need more information from you or your boyfriend. The best way we can do that is if you give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY or chat with us through We are here 24/7 and are confidential and anonymous. We're here to listen, here to help!

    We hope this answers your question. Please call or chat with us anytime. Good luck!
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp