I want to live with someone else

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ive bounced back and forth from my moms and my dads since 2015 and now me and my mom got into a heated argument thag lead up to her saying pack my stuff and go so thats what i did. But the only reason i did is because i felt alone there, i couldnt talk to anyone about my problems, i wasnt accepted there, it just didnt feel like home and it took a toll on me for a long time. No food, most days i took on my own find my next meal. All my joy in life shut off because of how life was going there, i got deeply depressed because i always feel like i come last and things werent being done for me, im at the point to where im 17 in 2 months and i do things for myself. I got my license on my own, and buy my own things to even help my mom not have to really pay for my food or any of that and im sure it helps a lot because i stopped complaining. It hurt me when i did ask for things because it would be a problem. I finally realized i didnt wanna be there anymore. Now shes trying to make me move back and not let me live with someone who i can rely on, just because she wants me back.

Comment

• ccsmod10
      ccsmod10 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

We are sorry to hear that things between you and your mom are not going well. We are not legal experts but the easiest way to leave home is with your mom's permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to your mom. One service we can offer is to conference call with your parents. This way you could have this conversation with your mom but you would not be alone.The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. If you want more information about abuse reporting or if you want to file a report, you could call Child Help at 1-800-422-4453. Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.

You mentioned depression. If you’re not currently getting mental health resources, it can be really helpful to get treatment As your mental health suffers, you have -limited ability to handle the other stressors in your life. You can contact the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) to connect you to mental health resources at 1-800-950-6264 or NAMI.org You may also want to talk to your school because they should have a counselor for you.

It sounds like you’ve been going through a really hard time, but you’ve shown a lot of strength by working through these challenges and reaching out for help.If you would like to share more, please feel free to call our 24 hour hotline at 1-800Runaway (786-2929) or use our live chat. We hope this information was helpful and take care.

My father is medically and emotionally neglecting me, he has sole custody of me and I don’t want to live with my mother because she can’t even take care of herself. I want to live with someone else but my dad would never give the permission to emancipate me. He barely buys food. I would have a better life somewhere else. What should I do?

Comment

• ccsmod2
      ccsmod2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello There,
      Thank you for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen. It sounds like you are going through a difficult time right now. You do not deserve to be neglected in any way and we are sorry you are going through that.
      You do have a right to report the neglect and there are a few ways you can do that. One option to consider is talking with a school counselor, because they are mandated reporters they would be required to make a report. Another option would be to call Child Help at: 1800-422-4453, they can help you make a report. Also you can always give us a call and we would be happy to help with making a report.
      You mentioned wanting to live with someone else, we are not legal experts but we do have some information on the laws. If you were to leave without permission your legal guardian does have the right to file a runaway report. If the police were to find you they most likely would bring you back home. Because you did mention neglect, the police would most likely do an investigation before bringing you back home.
      We hope that this information will be helpful to you in your situation. If you have any other questions or would like to explore options please give us a call. We are here 24/7 to listen and to provide support to you best of luck!
      NRS

having the same problems here. i came here not too long ago but i’m just being kept for my money as it feels. i don’t get to do anything. the only jobs available around me are mcdonald’s and subway which i’ve been declined to both. i have no way of getting license without a job bc they say i need a job first them i can start driving even tho i already have my car. i wasn’t supposed to go to the person im living with and i come home everyday and i just feel numb im not included on any family activities and she doesn’t buy anything for me but will buy for the rest of the house. i can’t tell her i don’t want to live with her bc she will blow it out of proportion and i’m afraid of her taking my things. she never came around when my mom was alive (who i was living with) besides when she needed money and she cleaned out my moms room in under 5 hours after the night she was found. it’s just bull******** and i can’t be here anymore the house is filthy and whenever i do something nice like clean it or anything i never gets thanked so all i do is sit in my room and sleep everyday.

Comment

• ccsmod13
      ccsmod13 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thank you for contacting NRS and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you with figuring out your next steps in this difficult situation. Asking for help was really responsible and smart of you. We are sorry to hear things are so unstable at home. You deserve to be treated in a way that makes you feel wanted and cared for.

From what you have shared, it sounds like the person you are living with is not providing a healthy or caring environment for you to live in. Sometimes having an adult advocate on your side can make communicating your needs more effective. Perhaps an adult family member, a friend's parent or a counselor at school can help you brainstorm some ideas for making your living situation better.

Child Help is an organization that advocates for young people in abusive and unhealthy situations. You can contact them at 1-800-422-4453 or go to childhelphotline.org to talk more about your options.

We truly want to be a support for you as you decide on your next steps. We are available 24/7 to listen and help as much as possible. Please do not hesitate to reach out again by phone or chat if you would like to talk more in-depth about your situation and explore your options. You can contact us by phone at 1-800-786-2929 or use our live chat services at www.1800runaway.org.

We look forward to hearing from you soon so that we can help,
      NRS

I want to live with my mom because the reason I left her is because my dad and mom split up the I moved with my dads brother and his wife then they got divorced I just wanna leave I wanna live with my mom I feel like she would be the best for m in this situation but I'm afraid to talk about it because I dont want any of my family to hate me for it idk. But I'm depressed and we just moved and I dont Luke it to much but its whatever but I'm closer to my mom and I just wanna live with her

Comment

• ccsmod0
      ccsmod0 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there,

Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. You can discuss with your family what the custody arrangement is with your mom and if it would be possible for her to have full custody so that you can live with her. You may also want to speak with legal services about what her rights are as your mother.

We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button). If you would like to look into further support options, you can text with a crisis worker at the National Alliance on Mental Illness 24/7 by texting "NAMI" to 741741.

If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.

Be safe,
      NRS

Please click the link below to fill out our survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

I wanna go back with my auntie

Over the course of like 3 years I have went back and forth with my aunties. About a year ago I moved back with my auntie from the Bay area and we've had a bunch of up and down's. She always threatens to smack me she has also said hella mean things like you disgust me and whole bunch of other things. She always gives me these looks we moved out here in Florida and she doesn't trust me I get I ********ed up a lot you know and today was really bad she threatened to get a paddle or something and beat my a.. My dream is to rap and she said I wouldn't make it i don't have the talent for it she is just so abusive mentally she loves to make fun of me and embarrass me in front of family always. I have depression and PTSD that's what my therapist diagnosed me with so I wanna move back in with my other auntie back in California I need help I have thought about running away. What should I do? She also took all my stuff away except for this computer.
    Last edited by ccsmod4; 09-09-2020, 03:15 AM.

Comment

• ccsmod4
      ccsmod4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS).

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. You don't deserve to be threatened in any way or have your dreams stepped on. It is not your fault. You have the right to want to be treated fairly. It sounds like you are in therapy sessions. Good for you.
      Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of options that may lead to ideas previously not thought of.
      You are very strong to reach out and share what has been going on.
      This may be an isolating and lonely time for you, but you are not alone in this.

We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this trying time.
      If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon. Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

Be safe and stay strong,
      NRS

i want to live with my dad because my mom and step dad are really mean o me and i have more siblings at my dads house and my dad and my step mom are really nice to my and here we have mice and i am the one who has to clean the whole house and if i dont do it right i get grounded and yeah i have one other sibling here too and i think it would be better to live with my dad because he would let me have a friend over and my mom would not let me have anyone over she wont even let me have friends. i dont know what to do i dont wanna live here anymore but i am scared if i tell my mom she would yell and throw things at me and not let me go. i told my dad i want to live with him but i am just scared to tell my mom.

Comment

• ccsmod2
      ccsmod2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello There,
      Thank you for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline, it takes great courage to reach out and we are so glad that you have decided to reach out to us.
      It sounds like you are going through a difficult time and we want you to know you are not alone. It is great that you have your dad and step mom for support and they treat you so well. It is unfortunate that you do not like your living situation at your moms. We know you mentioned talking with your dad and that you are afraid of talking with your mom. One option to consider would be to ask your father if he can help you have the conversation with your mom. He would be able to offer support and help you have the conversation with your mom. Another option would be to speak with a school counselor about what is going on at home. Sometimes speaking to an adult can help by offering options and support.
      We hope that this information will be helpful to you in your situation. If you have any other questions or would like to explore more options please give us a call. We are here for you 24/7 by phone or by chatting with us.
      NRS

I feel unsafe and want to live with a dear friend
    my mother is always threatening me, and usually hits me. I remember vividly a time when i was having a bad day at school, and when she came to pick me up, she was really upset.She pulled me by my backpack and i cursed at her, she then threw me on the ground, and choked me. Ever since that day she called it restraining. And now whenever something happens no matter the case i could be talking and she'd threaten to hit me, punch me, or choke me. I feel unsafe and i constantly think about running away, and I've done it a few times before. The most recent time, she called the police and they found me. That's besides the point. The point is that i want to live with somebody who makes me feel safe, who i can get along with. I have somebody in mind but... I'm afraid my mom would never let me live there. And i cannot call the hotline, because I have my old phone, which has been deactivated because i got a new phone and everything was transferred. The new phone is currently locked away so i don't know what to do.
    Having problems at home with a parent or sibling? Talk about it here.

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like there is a lot going on between you and your mom and hopefully you know that this is not how you should be treated as a child or young adult. As we don’t know where you are living and what age you are, it is difficult to look into the laws your state has in place for runaways and provide you with that information.

While it sounds like you may have a plan as to who you might want to live with, doing that may result in once again getting returned to your mother’s custody as well as potentially putting the person you are staying with in jeopardy for ‘harboring’ someone underage. Perhaps an older relative such as an aunt or grandparent might be a better opportunity as long as you and your mom agree on your living with that relative. If that isn’t possible, here at NRS we have a database we could look into for Transitional Living Programs or short term living facilities which may allow you live away from your mother. In order to look into that it would be great if you could to reach out to us via our chat opportunity (www.1800runaway.org) allowing you to chat with one of our representatives. Keeping you safe where ever you are living is our main goal in working with youths who may be living on the street or in a volatile situation at home.

Again, thank you for reaching out to NRS. Please try to reach out to us via our chatroom so what we can be of better assistance to you. It is unfortunate you don’t have a phone but hopefully you are using a computer for school and can reach out to us. That way we can get more specifics about your situation and working on getting you to a safe place.

Best,
      NRS

i want to run away and live with my significant other im under 18 and so is my lover, they are in minnesota unlike me im in florida i want to run away because my parents emotionally and mentally abuse me and im not allowed to speak with my lover even though i do it anyways and im not supposed to because of something they did on accident that my parents noticed as a red flag and my lover has bad health (suicide thoughts, self harm, insucurity, not being loved by parents, learning disabilaties, etc) i want to help im the only one they can talk to and my parents blame me for almost everything i do wrong or the slightest bit wrong and i hate it here i want to leave and i dont want my parents to look for me im planning on leaving soon idk how or when but i need help on deciding what to do please give advice.

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello, thank you for reaching out to us. We’re sorry that you are experiencing mental and emotional abuse at home from your parents, and it sounds like you really care about your significant other. It’s understandable that you want to run away to be with them, but there’s a lot to think about when leaving home. Where to stay, how to get there, and how to pay for things are all challenges that many runaways come across. Also, since you are under 18, your parents or guardians could file a runaway report with the police, and the police could force you to return home. If you feel like you would benefit from talking to someone about your specific situation, we encourage you to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY or chat us through this website at www.1800runaway.org, so that we can better listen and help. We work best when we can have a conversation with you. We truly hope to hear from you soon. When you call we can help you brainstorm several options for how to best deal with your situation.

Stay safe!
      NRS

I am a 15 year old (16 in April) I currently live between my mums house and my dad's girlfriend's house. At my dads girlfriends house, I feel trapped they always take everything away from me, but they treat my younger brothers so much better than me. Whenever I'm there if I do the slightest thing to annoy her there are always major consequences like the time she took my door off the hinges for not having my bedroom door 100% open or like the other day when I said that school was more important than applying to a couple jobs online I'm not allowed to eat food it's almost been a couple of days now. I mean they don't have much money because dad is trying to start a business but it's been almost 3 years where they haven't even said happy birthday to me on my birthday let alone get me something. I feel neglected emotionally and mentally abused and hungry. He has even told me to live in foster care or on the streets and that he doesn't care about me. Is there anything I can do.

Comment

• ccsmod0
      ccsmod0 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are in a difficult situation, and we understand it takes courage to reach out for help. We appreciate you sharing what's been going on in your life. It was very brave of you. The National Runaway Safeline is located in the United States of America (USA). Our knowledge of helpful community-based resources and our understanding of youth in crisis related laws is limited to the USA. If you are located in a country outside of the USA, you can use this link to find a youth helpline in or around your country: https://www.childhelplineinternation...pline-network/.

We hope that by reaching out to a local resource, you are able to get the support you need from an organization that understands the laws and circumstances that affect youth in your country.

I don’t wanna live with my mom anymore I feel unhappy and suffocated here and I know my mom loves me and is going through a hard time trying to support me and my sister while being a single parent and lost her brother and sister I try and be there for her but I feel like she’s never there for me. She always yells at me for making a simple mistake If I wear a different color sock she yells at me and calls me hard headed etc she used to beat on me and my sister for sneaking and eating food when we were younger. If we make any mistakes now we get yelled at or grounded or possibly whooped. She makes me feel small and helpless and I can’t stand up to her cause I’m scared of her I’m scared how she will react since whenever I try to stand up for myself I get threatened or hit she makes me feel like less of daughter i feel like she puts my sister more on top and I tried telling her that but I couldn’t tell her that and she straight up told me whatever I’m thinking isn’t true and that isn’t how I really feel I can’t be myself when she’s around cause she’ll just push me back down she barely lets me go outside cause it’s “dangerous” and I can’t meet out with my friends since she wants to think they’ll abuse me or rape me but then she makes me go to places with complete strangers it’s ironic if I get one bad grade? I’m a disappointment. When I came out as bisexual? “Your going through a faze all kids go through it”. I feel left out? She barely cares. If my mother makes a mess? I clean it up. If my mother is sad or depressed? I have to be there for her. If I have feelings? She shuts them down immediately and makes me feel bad. She got mad at me for wearing an oversized shirt cause she didn’t want to wash my other clothing. Whenever I feel uncomfortable and express how I feel she shuts that down too and forces me to be someone I'm not she makes me feel like if I do anything it’s wrong she tells me how much she’s ashamed and disappointed she is in me. But never to my sister she makes me feel so unloved and starts arguments with me and then tells people how I try to start things with her just to try and make her seem like a bad person. I have to tell her everything so she will trust me but never does I can’t even be in the internet anymore without her accusing of something I feel suffocated here and unsafe I feel more safe and comfortable talking to a damn doctor who I barely know but she made me feel safe and secure and worried about how I felt and understood the things I did she was aware I actually was a person in stead of a robot. I can’t even have hobbies that I like since my mom thinks I should be someone else that she compares me to. She compared to her ex boyfriend’s daughter saying how she gets great grades and if I get one bad grade I’m a screw up and she even makes my sister go against me like I’m tired of this I don’t want to live with her anymore I don’t see her as a mother she isn’t what she used to be ever since my dad died she wants to take her anger out on someone and it’s usually me I hate it here

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS), we are so glad that you did. It sounds like you are going through a really difficult situation right now with a lot of moving parts! Between your family dynamic with your mom and sister, the passing of your dad and coming out about your sexuality - that is so much for anyone to go through! You should never feel unsafe in your own home, especially on top of feeling unsupported and unloved and we are so sorry that you are experiencing all of this. It sounds like speaking to your doctor has been a positive outlet for you and has provided a safe space for you to be yourself and be open about the specific things you have been going through. If possible, it might be good to continue your relationship with this doctor so you have this positive person in your life.

Additionally, since you mentioned a number of things that you are struggling with, it may be more beneficial if we are able to have a comprehensive conversation to unpack these together. There are a number of other avenues that we could explore and resources that we may be able to provide to assist you in coming up with a safe plan that you feel most comfortable with. To begin this conversation, please contact our 24/7 crisis support line either by phone or chat. Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

In addition to our hotline, you could also reach out to the LGBT National Help Center through their website (www.glbthotline.org) or by phone: (88 843-4564 ( Hotline) or (88 246-7743 (LGBT National Youth Talkline). If you would like to reference some other stories, FAQs and Resources regarding LGBTQ, coming out, and how to navigate these conversations you can visit sexetc.org (Stories (sexetc.org)).

We really hope to hear from you soon!

Sincerely,

NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
x
x
Working...
X