No announcement yet.

I want to live with someone else

  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Ive bounced back and forth from my moms and my dads since 2015 and now me and my mom got into a heated argument thag lead up to her saying pack my stuff and go so thats what i did. But the only reason i did is because i felt alone there, i couldnt talk to anyone about my problems, i wasnt accepted there, it just didnt feel like home and it took a toll on me for a long time. No food, most days i took on my own find my next meal. All my joy in life shut off because of how life was going there, i got deeply depressed because i always feel like i come last and things werent being done for me, im at the point to where im 17 in 2 months and i do things for myself. I got my license on my own, and buy my own things to even help my mom not have to really pay for my food or any of that and im sure it helps a lot because i stopped complaining. It hurt me when i did ask for things because it would be a problem. I finally realized i didnt wanna be there anymore. Now shes trying to make me move back and not let me live with someone who i can rely on, just because she wants me back.


    • ccsmod10
      ccsmod10 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

      We are sorry to hear that things between you and your mom are not going well. We are not legal experts but the easiest way to leave home is with your mom's permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to your mom. One service we can offer is to conference call with your parents. This way you could have this conversation with your mom but you would not be alone.The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. If you want more information about abuse reporting or if you want to file a report, you could call Child Help at 1-800-422-4453. Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.

      You mentioned depression. If you’re not currently getting mental health resources, it can be really helpful to get treatment As your mental health suffers, you have -limited ability to handle the other stressors in your life. You can contact the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) to connect you to mental health resources at 1-800-950-6264 or You may also want to talk to your school because they should have a counselor for you.

      It sounds like you’ve been going through a really hard time, but you’ve shown a lot of strength by working through these challenges and reaching out for help.If you would like to share more, please feel free to call our 24 hour hotline at 1-800Runaway (786-2929) or use our live chat. We hope this information was helpful and take care.

  • #17
    My father is medically and emotionally neglecting me, he has sole custody of me and I don’t want to live with my mother because she can’t even take care of herself. I want to live with someone else but my dad would never give the permission to emancipate me. He barely buys food. I would have a better life somewhere else. What should I do?


    • ccsmod2
      ccsmod2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello There,
      Thank you for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen. It sounds like you are going through a difficult time right now. You do not deserve to be neglected in any way and we are sorry you are going through that.
      You do have a right to report the neglect and there are a few ways you can do that. One option to consider is talking with a school counselor, because they are mandated reporters they would be required to make a report. Another option would be to call Child Help at: 1800-422-4453, they can help you make a report. Also you can always give us a call and we would be happy to help with making a report.
      You mentioned wanting to live with someone else, we are not legal experts but we do have some information on the laws. If you were to leave without permission your legal guardian does have the right to file a runaway report. If the police were to find you they most likely would bring you back home. Because you did mention neglect, the police would most likely do an investigation before bringing you back home.
      We hope that this information will be helpful to you in your situation. If you have any other questions or would like to explore options please give us a call. We are here 24/7 to listen and to provide support to you best of luck!

  • #18
    having the same problems here. i came here not too long ago but i’m just being kept for my money as it feels. i don’t get to do anything. the only jobs available around me are mcdonald’s and subway which i’ve been declined to both. i have no way of getting license without a job bc they say i need a job first them i can start driving even tho i already have my car. i wasn’t supposed to go to the person im living with and i come home everyday and i just feel numb im not included on any family activities and she doesn’t buy anything for me but will buy for the rest of the house. i can’t tell her i don’t want to live with her bc she will blow it out of proportion and i’m afraid of her taking my things. she never came around when my mom was alive (who i was living with) besides when she needed money and she cleaned out my moms room in under 5 hours after the night she was found. it’s just bull******** and i can’t be here anymore the house is filthy and whenever i do something nice like clean it or anything i never gets thanked so all i do is sit in my room and sleep everyday.


    • ccsmod13
      ccsmod13 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

      Thank you for contacting NRS and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you with figuring out your next steps in this difficult situation. Asking for help was really responsible and smart of you. We are sorry to hear things are so unstable at home. You deserve to be treated in a way that makes you feel wanted and cared for.

      From what you have shared, it sounds like the person you are living with is not providing a healthy or caring environment for you to live in. Sometimes having an adult advocate on your side can make communicating your needs more effective. Perhaps an adult family member, a friend's parent or a counselor at school can help you brainstorm some ideas for making your living situation better.

      Child Help is an organization that advocates for young people in abusive and unhealthy situations. You can contact them at 1-800-422-4453 or go to to talk more about your options.

      We truly want to be a support for you as you decide on your next steps. We are available 24/7 to listen and help as much as possible. Please do not hesitate to reach out again by phone or chat if you would like to talk more in-depth about your situation and explore your options. You can contact us by phone at 1-800-786-2929 or use our live chat services at

      We look forward to hearing from you soon so that we can help,

  • #19
    I want to live with my mom because the reason I left her is because my dad and mom split up the I moved with my dads brother and his wife then they got divorced I just wanna leave I wanna live with my mom I feel like she would be the best for m in this situation but I'm afraid to talk about it because I dont want any of my family to hate me for it idk. But I'm depressed and we just moved and I dont Luke it to much but its whatever but I'm closer to my mom and I just wanna live with her


    • ccsmod0
      ccsmod0 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there,

      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. You can discuss with your family what the custody arrangement is with your mom and if it would be possible for her to have full custody so that you can live with her. You may also want to speak with legal services about what her rights are as your mother.

      We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.

      Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); (click on the chat button). If you would like to look into further support options, you can text with a crisis worker at the National Alliance on Mental Illness 24/7 by texting "NAMI" to 741741.

      If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.

      Be safe,

      Please click the link below to fill out our survey:

  • #20
    I wanna go back with my auntie

    Over the course of like 3 years I have went back and forth with my aunties. About a year ago I moved back with my auntie from the Bay area and we've had a bunch of up and down's. She always threatens to smack me she has also said hella mean things like you disgust me and whole bunch of other things. She always gives me these looks we moved out here in Florida and she doesn't trust me I get I ********ed up a lot you know and today was really bad she threatened to get a paddle or something and beat my a.. My dream is to rap and she said I wouldn't make it i don't have the talent for it she is just so abusive mentally she loves to make fun of me and embarrass me in front of family always. I have depression and PTSD that's what my therapist diagnosed me with so I wanna move back in with my other auntie back in California I need help I have thought about running away. What should I do? She also took all my stuff away except for this computer.
    Last edited by ccsmod4; 09-09-2020, 02:15 AM.


    • ccsmod4
      ccsmod4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS).

      We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. You don't deserve to be threatened in any way or have your dreams stepped on. It is not your fault. You have the right to want to be treated fairly. It sounds like you are in therapy sessions. Good for you.
      Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of options that may lead to ideas previously not thought of.
      You are very strong to reach out and share what has been going on.
      This may be an isolating and lonely time for you, but you are not alone in this.

      We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this trying time.
      If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon. Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); (click on the chat button).

      Be safe and stay strong,
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove