How do I leave without telling my parents

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I leave without telling my parents

I’m going to try to keep this brief. Long story short, I’ve just turned 20 and have been in a neglectful and emotionally abusive household for the past 10 years. I also have experienced several extremely traumatic events in that time. Recently my online boyfriend (I’ve known him for years and met him
    through a super small online community, he’s met several of my friends in person so I know he’s real and who he says he is..) has offered to let me move in with him in to his mothers house until we can save up enough to live on our own. He’ll be leaving in 4 hours to start the drive to my state. We’ve decided on a date when my mother, father, and sister should be out.

Now that that’s out of the way time for my question. Should I tell my parents I’m leaving before I do leave? My plan at the moment has been to leave and inform them once I’m a good distance from my home town that I have left. I’m worried things could get violent if I tell them in person I’m leaving. Any suggestions help, I’m out of time.

Hey there,

We are so sorry you are struggling with this right now, and you absolutely do not deserve to be abused by your parents. Because you are 20, you are able to leave home without legal consequences. If you feel unsafe, please call 911. Your safety is a top priority. You know your situation best, and should do whatever you feel is your safest option. It's good to have a plan of action and a plan for how you will support yourself and transportation. You mentioned having experienced trauma in your life. If you feel it would be beneficial for you to talk to someone, you can text NAMI to 741741, and you will be able to text with a crisis worker.

You can call our hotline at 18007862929 or chat with us, if you want to talk in more detail about your situation.

Stay safe,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X