X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 15, TN, thinking about running away.

This is long, be prepared.

So, my life at home isn't very well, my father will not let me go to school, at all. He says I won't like it, and says they teach things I'll never use, He homeschools me, (Since kindergarten) He never teaches me though. So I have to teach myself things.
    I also have terrible anxiety because of this, I'm almost never out of the house, I have no friends. I'm depressed. (which my parents don't believe)
    I'm also in a long distance relationship with a girl who lives in NY, last year she called CPS around this time, (September), to try to help me, I lied to them, mostly because my parents were not far from where me and the CPS person were, (they were in a different room but not far away from us, they were listening to what I said)
    anyways, my girlfriend has tried to help me, pushed me to ask them about letting me go to school. my dad has said no every time. my girlfriend knows EVERYTHING about my situation at home, she says she's done all she has could to try to help, It's up to me now,
    and she says the only option I have left is to runaway, I don't know where to go, or what to do. My life at home isn't going to get better, there is another situation too at home, I do not want to get into that though. I'm so lost.
    What do I do?

Re: 15, TN, thinking about running away.

Hello, thanks for reaching out.

It sounds like you are going through a whole lot at home and you are feeling pretty isolated there. We at NRS are sorry you are going through this, and we are always here for you.

It sounds like your girlfriend is telling you that running away is your only option, and you are not sure what to do. Here at NRS, we are non-directive and will never tell you what to do. We are here to listen, help brainstorm your options, and help you as best we can. We strongly encourage you to call 1-800-RUNAWAY or live chat us so we can talk more about your situation. We can provide you with resources such as local youth shelters if you would like.

You mentioned something else that is going on at home that makes you want to leave. If you are afraid for your safety you can call 911. You mentioned lying to CPS before because your parents were listening to you. If you are interested in reporting again, Child Help USA at 1-800-422-4453 is a hotline that talks to you about what reporting could possibly look like in your case. You can also talk about what happened in the past with CPS and they can advise you on that.

It also sounds like you are having trouble with anxiety and depression - that must be really difficult. Some of the resources we can provide include local counseling services if that is something you are interested in. If you contact us through live chat or calling we can provide you with those resources. It seems really hard to not be able to go to school and not being able to make friends. It might be helpful for you to look into community activities that could help you make friends outside of your house, and again we can possibly provide you with community resources if you would like.

Best wishes,

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Re: 15, TN, thinking about running away.

Thank you, my girlfriend just thinks it isn't going to get better here, I brought up a few months ago to my mom I wanted to go to school for sure, She still hasn't told my dad..but thank you for replying it means a lot.

Comment

RE: Re: 15, TN, thinking about running away.

Hello again -

You're very welcome. Just know that we are always here to listen and help in any way that we possible can. It can be very frustrating not knowing what to do or what your next step might be from this point on. It’s brave of you to reach out during your time of need. Because we do get a large number of forum post, we do have to limit email replies to three individual responses to answer any questions that you have or to provide you with a number of means of support. So it’s certainly not a means to communicate to get the full support that you can get if you called in. We are mainly here for support and help find some guidance to local resources that might be able to help a youth through their particular situation and we aren’t here to tell you what to do because you know your situation a lot better than we do. We just want you to know your options and with whatever you choose that you’re safe and not on the streets.

It sounds like you might some specific questions that you want to ask us or every things that you just want to talk about with someone. It’s hard to talk to just anyone one about what has been going on. It’s very brave of you to reach out to us. Please rest assured that we are completing confidential. So anything that you share with us will stay between us. We certainly want to help you. If you give us a call on our 24/7 hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) we could help you find resources in your area and could potentially help you brainstorm a possible solution to the issues you are having. We would love to talk to you about what has been going on recently.

Good luck and hear from you soon.
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
        [email protected] (Crisis Email)
        1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
        https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x
        or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
        x
        x
        Working...
        X