17yo Runaway

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 17yo Runaway

I live in Montana. I turn 18 in 3 months. There’s always been issues at home. My Dad has physically abused me twice that I can remember. Both in the last year. My Mom does nothing but try and justify why he did it. I just can’t stay here anymore. I’m constantly scared and I don’t know what to do. I have a brother that lives 3 1/2 hours away from me. If I ran away and found some way up there could he get in trouble for helping me? Or could someone that gives me a ride up there get in trouble if we’re caught or if someone figures out this plan?

Hello,

Thanks for reaching out to NRS and sharing a bit about what has been happening. It sounds like your dad has not been making home safe for you. It is really responsible of you to want to know more information before deciding to leave.

We are not legal experts by any means, but generally speaking if you leave before you turn 18 your parents can report you as a run away. Running away is not illegal. It basically means that if you come into contact with law enforcement, there is a possibility they will detain you until they find a way to return you home. However, this can vary by state and even county and in some areas police do not even take runaway reports for someone so close to 18. Although it is rare, there is a chance that your brother could be charged with harboring a runaway. But this is usually a misdemeanor and it would be up to your parents to pursue these charges against your brother or someone else who is helping you.

If you would like to talk more in detail about your situation, we are available 24/7 by phone or chat to support you while you decide on your next steps. Please do not hesitate to reach out anytime, we are here to listen and help.

Be safe,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X