No announcement yet.

Family issues

  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Family issues

    Hello Im a 17yr old who wants to move away. I only live with my mother and 3 siblings and aunt. My mom and aunt are constantly emotionally abusing me. This past week my mother stop paying my phone bill and took away my phone while verbally attacking me. , she use to hit me too to the point where i bled. I've been planning to move when Im 18 but i can't handle it anymore I want to move with my boyfriend. Can the police get involve if im only one month away from being 18? Because if they I would basically come back in a month which is pointless right?

  • #2
    Hey there,

    Thanks so much for reaching out and sharing a little bit about what’s been going on, we know that it takes a lot of courage. It must be really hard to live in a home with so much tension. No one should be abused in any way and yout mother should never have hit you. Running away is a big decision and it can be very stressful to figure out what you want to do. If you are thinking about staying with your boyfriend it may be a good idea to see what the expectations of the living arrangement will be like; rules, the amount of time you’re allowed to stay, if you’re expected to contribute financially, etc. You may also want to ensure that can cover basic necessities like travel, food, clothing, etc.

    We aren’t legal experts here at NRS, but generally speaking, if you do opt to leave your home your mom can file a runaway report, which is essentially a missing person report. Running away is a status offense; this means that it isn’t illegal, but it’s something you can’t do while still a minor. If a runaway report is filed and you are located by the authorities you will most likely be returned home. Usually, the closer you are to turning 18 the more likely it is that the police will let you stay where you are but this can vary from town to town. You can always reach out to your local nonemergency police line (usually you can just dial 311) to verify local procedure for older runaways.

    If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

    Stay safe,
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove