Is This Abuse?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is This Abuse?

I think my family might be abusive, but I’m not sure. They’ve never hit me or hurt me in any way, but they’ve yelled at me. My father will yell at me for various things, like if I interrupt him. If I interrupt him, he threatens that he won’t help me again.

My brother likes to taunt me. He calls me a toddler because I cry and get upset. If I don’t like something, he’ll do it over and over. When I confront him about it, he said he never does it.

Personal as space is another issue. I don’t feel safe anywhere in the house anymore. I have a room, but it isn’t really my room. My dad will barge in without even knocking. If I happen to be doing something wrong, he’ll yell at me.

My dad once slammed the door open to tell me dinner was ready and then yelled at me to stop taking naps. He said it was no wonder I couldn’t sleep. He takes more naps than I do, though. He even has insomnia, like I do. Still, he yells at me.

My mom yells at me constantly to get my grades up, and I really do try my best. I tell her that I know, that I’m trying my best. She always says that I always say that, and that I never do.

I don’t like my family and I don’t feel safe, but I don’t want to accuse them of anything. Is this abuse?

Hello There,
    Thank you for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen. It seems like you are in a confusing situation right now. You do not deserve to be yelled at constantly or threatened.
    What you are going through could potentially be emotional abuse but it is a little difficult to determine that without more context to what is going on. A good option to find out if that is emotional abuse is to call The Child Helpline at: 1800-422-4453. Another option you could consider is speaking with your school counselor about what is going on. Sometimes they would be able to help you in figuring out what to do and options for you.
    We hope this information will be helpful to you in your situation. If you have any more questions or would like to explore your options please give us a call. We are here 24/7 to listen and provide support to you. We wish you the best of luck!
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X