Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What will happen if I run away due to sibling abuse?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What will happen if I run away due to sibling abuse?

Hello. I am 13, will be 14 in a few months. After many posts online and such, I have concluded that I am in fact being abused. I do not want to be hit again and heavily thinking of running away. I only haven't because leaving my cat wouldn't be ideal. He hits me often, he's choked me and running away seems to be the only option that isn't illegal or me ending my own life. I can't explain it to anyone. I have a place that I could go to perhaps. It's a runaway shelter. I'm not sure how I, a thirteen year old would get there seeing as it is in a different city and I'm not sure if me taking the public bus would raise any flags. I don't even know how really. Getting hit again is a really scary thought even though it's been for years. I just want to escape. If I called CPS it wouldn't do much except make everyone mad at me. After all, it's easy for someone to just not abuse someone when there are others around. My mom has seen it and did nothing. I don't feel comfortable telling anyone as I know it won't do much. Nobody takes sibling abuse seriously after all. It isn't being hit over stealing a toy once, it's about being thrown to the ground and being kicked till you feel sore and it hurts all over just for accidentally hitting him. What can I even do at this point?

Hey there,

Thanks so much for reaching out and sharing a little bit about what’s been going on, we know that it takes a lot of courage. It must be really hard to live in a home with so much tension. Your brother's actions are not acceptable and you shouldn't be treated this way. If you ever feel like you are in immediate danger we encourage you to contact 911 or seek emergency assistance. You mentioned that you were hesitant to involve CPS. We want you to know that you do have the right to file a child abuse report. We care a lot about your safety here at NRS and your brother's violent actions could possibly lead to serious injuries. Additionally, your mom's refusal to step in could be considered neglect. If you feel like this is an option you want to explore, you may find this website helpful: https://www.childhelp.org/child-abuse/. We can also help you to file a report if that’s the route you are considering. It may also be a good idea to explore options for staying with another family member or someone you trust as far as transferring custody.

It seems like your mom might not fully understand the scope of what your brother is doing and how it is affecting you. It could be a good idea to work with a local family counselor or have a conversation mediated by a school counselor/social worker, trusted friend, or family member to help clear the air. If you'd like, you can also call us directly and we can conduct a conference call with your mom so you have a safe environment where you can express yourself. If you don't want to or aren't ready to have a conversation with your mom you could also speak with someone you trust about transportation to the runaway shelter you have in mind. You can also call ahead to the shelter as well to see if they can help arrange a way to get there.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

Stay safe,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X