Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help. I want out(and for good reason too)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help. I want out(and for good reason too)

Hello,
    I am a 16 year old in Texas and my family is just breaking me apart. The other night, I was accused of drinking beer because my parents found an empty bottle of the stuff in my and my sister's bathroom. This is not the first time I have been blamed for situations like this or just simple things like not sweeping. They always turn to me to do everything they ask but don't tell mys sisters to do anything even though they can help around the house. They don't trust me as I have done many things in the past then claim that I'm not trying to help myself even though I can't do anything as they have been limiting me. Before yesterday, I wasn't able to do much but now I can't even do homework on the computer or do volunteering(which is a graduation requirement for my school). They are always talking to me as if I'm the unwanted child and threatening to put me in boot camp or send me to my biological father. I have cried myself to sleep on many occasions and they are there when I talk to my psychiatrist and I'm afraid to tell the truth of how they treat me as I live with them and they can do what they want to me. They claim to love me and give me "everything I want, need, and then some" but why do I want a family that makes me feel loved and safe when they supposedly give me that? I feel like every night, I may get killed by them or my sisters. I am looking into getting emancipated but I unfortunately don't live away from my parents and I don't turn 17 until July or have a job to support myself. I have also looked into putting myself in foster care but I can't find a straight answer. What am I to do?

Hello there -

Thank you for reaching out to us here on our public forum. Hopefully you have taken the opportunity to explore the responses on this thread to see if they can help you. It is our thought by helping you during your crisis, that there are others out there going through the same situation can look at this thread and find the answers that they need as well. Of course if you need additional support you are more than welcome to reach out to us via our online chat or our 24/7 hotline.

We are mainly here for support and help find some guidance to local resources that might be able to help a youth through their particular situation and we aren’t here to tell you what to do because you know your situation a lot better than we do. We just want you to know your options and with whatever you choose that you’re safe and not on the streets. Only you know your situation best and know when it is time to leave an unsafe situation at home. Having to deal with constant yelling and threats at home does sound really stressful to deal with alone, it’s great that you do have a therapist that you can talk to from time to time. You shouldn’t feel afraid to speak openly about your feelings or what you are going through in life because that is probably the one place where you can get those feelings validated. They can go you the support that you’re not getting at home and might help you come up with different techniques that you can use to help at home.

You have rights to protect yourself if you are getting abused at home. Unfortunately you can’t really just self-select to go into foster care or be removed from your family. The decision of whether or not you would be removed from your parents care falls on the shoulders of a CPS (Child Protective Services) case worker. Unfortunately, depending on the type of abuse, it would be harder to see and prove so it might come done to whether or not you have any evidence so support your case. If they don’t think there is abuse, they might recommend some counseling services or general family mediation. Another hotline that might be able to guide you through the process is “Child Help (National Child Abuse Hotline)” (800.422.4453).

Best of luck and please feel free to reach out to via our 24/7 hotline or online chat.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X