No announcement yet.

Bipolar child

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Bipolar child

    Hello I need advice
    I'm the parent of a bipolar 19 year old. Shold had a meltdown and ran away. I did tell her to sleep it 9ff and we would work it out in the morning but she was too upset. Shes not on any medication. Been stable for a few years. Her being an adult can I do anything?

  • #2
    Hey there,

    Thanks for reaching out and sharing a little bit about what's been going on, we know that it takes a lot of courage. It sounds like you love your daughter a lot and care greatly about her well-being. It can be really hard to live with mental illness and its great to hear that she has been doing well for a few years now. Since she is 19 she is considered a legal adult and can leave home if she wishes. It seems like you are also worried about her because she is not on medication currently. If you'd like, you can contact the police and request that they conduct a wellness check. This means they would go out to wherever your daughter is to ensure that she is currently in a safe environment and not in any danger to herself or others. If you are having trouble reaching her via phone calls or texts you may want to try contacting her via social media. Usually sending warm messages gets better responses than those threatening immediate disciplinary actions (ie I love you and want to make sure you're safe vs. You are so grounded).

    Best of luck and stay safe,
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp