17 almost 18 runaway!!!! Questionsss

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 17 almost 18 runaway!!!! Questionsss

I am 17 years old, in 6 months I will be 18. I have a job but my adoptive mom takes all of my money I don’t get any of it, let alone see my checks since she has them on direct deposit. I want to run away here in Texas and have run away many times before to get away. She is not who she portrays herself as in front of the authorities. My boyfriend is 19 and I would like to live with him. Could I get or anyone else involved get arrested? What legal actions could my adoptive mom take? Is it possible that my boyfriend could get into trouble? Someone help please. I been trying to leave since I was 15.

Hello and thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. We are sorry to hear that your mother is treating you in such an inappropriate and unfair manner. It makes sense why you want to leave so badly and it is great to hear that your boyfriend is supportive of your independence. We are not legal experts but we do have a great deal of experience working with runaways. While it is not illegal for you to run away and you will not be arrested for it, your adoptive mom can still call the police and file a runaway report on you. This would allow the police to notify her and return you home if they encountered/found you. The existence of the runaway report could also put your boyfriend at risk of your adoptive mom pressing charges against him for “harboring a runaway”. While it is not a guarantee that those kinds of charges succeed, there is definitely a real risk. Unfortunately, the police in Texas have been pretty strict on insisting the youth return home so long as they are under the age of 18 at least as far as we know. If you want more details or if you want to discuss your situation further, please don’t hesitate to give us a call at 1-800-786-2929 or chat us at 1800runaway.org.

Take care,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X