Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I call CPS

Hi, I'm 16 and I'm unsure if I can call CPS on my mom? My mom never protected me from my father when I was little (my dad screamed at me and my little brother over tiny things constantly). She doesn't buy food that I eat, only food for her, her boyfriend, and my brother (a fact I'm unsure matters). I've gone off my daily medication before, and I went off for over a month because I was too scared to let my mom know because I am positive she would have yelled/said some mean things. Near the end of this month that I was off my daily medication, I overdosed on sleeping pills as an attempt to kill myself. I tried to tell my mom, but when I told her I had taken too much medication, she immediately started yelling at me and being angry. Her excuse for this nowadays is that I was "unresponsive." But I don't understand why she didn't take me to the hospital if she believed that. The next morning, I was still having bad effects such as hallucinations, and my mom told me I was hallucinating. (She still didn't take me to the hospital, and sent me to school anyways.) When she's asked about this by someone, she says she "kept me home a day." (I have proof she didn't.) She also constantly makes "jokes" at my expense. I have diagnosed depression and anxiety, which lowers my energy level significantly, yet my mom thinks that I should always have the energy to walk 3-4miles a day. And if I don't, she gets mad. My mom also constantly makes me walk my service dog in training more than my dog needs, leaving me exhausted. She has also threatened to take my dog away, even when I've done a small thing with no relation whatsoever to my dog. (I do need my dog for my anxiety/panic attacks, as well as relief for my depression.) This is not a complete list of how she treats me, but I still feel like it might not be severe enough to call CPS.

re: Can I call CPS?

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us. It seems that you are concerned about whether or not your mom's actions are enough for you to call CPS. From what you shared, you have been having some issues with harming yourself and not being on your daily medications. Your mom says hurtful things to you verbally and has kept you out of school, despite your need for help. If you feel that your mom is not providing what you need mentally, you have a right to reach out for help. In general, it can be hard to prove that your mom is doing these things, if you were to call CPS. That's not to say that you shouldn't call them but you should be aware of this as a precaution. They would most likely ask her about what is going on, in addition to yourself, if they are contacted. You may want to consider any other adults in your life that you trust who can help you with this. You can also call Child Help USA to see if they can offer other options or steps you can take at this point. Their number is 1-800-422-4453.

Best of luck to you,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
    x
    x
    Working...
    X