Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I run away?

I'm 16 years old and I have had major depression and anxiety for 5 years since I was in 7th grade because of bullying from people at school and my parents not being a part of my emotional life. My parents only concern is school and my grades and continue to tear me apart for everything I do wrong. They criticize me in any way possible. I got a 4.3 this past year, all A's and a C in AP Calculus and they continue to make feel like I'm stupid and will never go to college because of it. I have told my mom that I am depressed but she said that its my choice to feel that way and never asked me or tried to talk to me about it anymore. My parents have never once asked me if I'm happy, never. I have considered sucide because I can't take the constant sadness and feeling worthless. I'm considering going to stay with my boyfriend for the night because he is the only one who knows how I feel and has been there for me for the past 3 years. He is the only person I feel comfortable talking to and being with. His mom knows and she wants me to stay with them in order to keep me safe from self harming myself. Should I stay with him for the night and send my parents a message about how I feel or just stay at home and just fight through it myself?

RE: Should I run away?

Hello there –

Thank you for taking the time out of your day to get into contact with us here at the National Runaway Safeline, we are always here to listen and here to help in any way that we can. Hopefully by helping you through this, there are others that are reading through the thread that will find it helpful as well. From your post to us, it sounds like you have are going through a very hard time right now and seem to be very overwhelmed with everything that is going on. The pressure from school and having unsupportive parents can get really traumatic. It’s great that you are able to reach out for help in your current situation, it’s very brave of you to do that.

You have also stated that you’re feeling depressed lately and that you don’t really have anyone to talk to beside your boyfriend. That can be especially hard because when you’re feeling this way and no one really understands how you’re feeling it can make things worse. Talking to someone about these feelings that you have can help you deal with some of the stress and depression that you’ve been struggling with. One resource that you might be able to look into if you’re looking for a safe place to go and talk to someone, would be to visit The National Safeplace website (www.nationalsafeplace.org). This organization provides access to immediate help and supportive resources for youth in need. You can look up your city and state to see if there is any safe places near you listed. They are usually places like designated school, fire stations, libraries, etc. So that is always an option if you feel like go to talk to someone in person and what has been going on.

As far as whether or not you should leave your house or stay that is something that you’re going to have to answer yourself unfortunately. We are mainly here for support and help find some guidance to local resources that might be able to help a youth through their particular situation and we aren’t here to tell you what to do because you know your situation a lot better than we do. We just want you to know your options and with whatever you choose that you’re safe and not on the streets. It might be helpful to be realistic about what your options if you were to leave and what you would need in order to stay at your parents’ house. Asking yourself how your parents would react if you were to leave and would they call the police to report you as a runaway or thinking about what environment you would be coming back to.

If you give us a call on our 24/7 fully confidential hotline, at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) we could help answer some of those questions you have and could potentially help you brainstorm a solution to the issues you are having. We also have an online chat service available every night from 4:30-11:30PM CST that is available through our website (www.1800runaway.org) if you don’t feel like calling in to talk on the phone.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
    x
    x
    Working...
    X