No announcement yet.

Running away with multiple important belongings and limited financial autonomy

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Running away with multiple important belongings and limited financial autonomy

    I'm over eighteen, a closeted transman, and I live in Detroit. I cannot drive. Out of the few people outside my immediate family that I know, I have nobody trustworthy to go to that I know can and would accommodate me, and I while I have only a hundred dollars to my name, I have things that I cannot give up but would be at least almost impossible to take with me- among them are pets, a musical instrument, crafting tools, and medication.
    I am not in immediate danger, but I know that if I continue to live with my immediate family they will continue to emotionally torment me, and I will have no chance of reaching any of my goals in life- as things are right now, I can't even further my education.
    I don't think I'd ever be able to hold down even an atypical job or even function on my own due to multiple disabilities, and am currently receiving government help with an immediate family member as my rep. payee.
    Is there a way that I can safely leave them? If so, what is it?

  • #2
    We are not legal experts but typically when you are over 18 you can make your own decisions as far as where you want to live because you are considered and adult. Since you stated that you have some disabilities that prevent you from taking care of yourself and that your parents are the representatives for you than they may still have guardianship. If you have any documentation or information from the court specifying if your parents have guardianship and up to what age that information you would probably refer to that document to be clear about your rights. You can also contact a local legal aid in your area to learn your rights as a person with disabilities and how you could legally leave from your parents’ house. Michigan Legal Services, 313-964-4130 or Wayne County Neighborhood Legal Services - Child & Family Law Court,
    (313) 874-5820 opt. 2
    are some legal services you can contact for advice. If you ever want someone to talk to about what is going on you can contact 1800-950-NAMI. You also could call us if you want to discuss any other issues or talk about your options. Best of luck!
    Last edited by ccsmod3; 10-11-2019, 01:22 AM.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp