Should I run away?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I run away?

I'm a 12 year old from minnesota, and i was sexually "touched" by my best friend. I have been planning to run away for about 3 months now but not sure if i should. My Parents found out about this from someone else and they blame me for it. I have a sister that's little and i also dont want to leave her behind. Please help me I cant figure out if running away is the thing for me. My friends have insisted to help me but im not sure if we can pull it off.

Re: Should I run away?

Hello There!
    Thanks for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline and sharing your story with us. It is a great and courageous step to take that is not always easy. It sounds like you have been going through a lot recently. You sound like you are such a strong person for having gone through so much already.

You mentioned possibly being sexually touched by a friend. Thank you for sharing this with us. We are sorry that you had to go through that. No one deserves this. You can always report your experience to the authorities or find support with another trusted adult, teacher, opr counselor. You can always call us at 1800_RUNAWAY and we can with its as well. If you wold like additional support with talking about this experience you can call RAINN( Rape Abuse Incest National Network) at 1800-656-4673 or https://www.rainn.org/ .

We cannot really say with confidence what you should or should or should not do as you are the best judge of your situation. If you feel like leaving is the best option for you, there are some things to think about for the future: How long do you anticipate on being gone or being able to stay where ever you may be? How will you support yourself or whom you will be staying with be willing to support you financially with food, clothing, other personal expenses/ allow you to stay rent free and for how long? What if things do not work out here in the future, what will be your back up plan? If you can give us a call we can try to find some youth shelters that may be in your area. We can also try to call out with you or on your behalf to advocate in finding shelter availability once you give us a call at 1800-RUNAWAY.

Another important detail is thinking about what your parent’s reaction will be. We are not legal experts here, but typically being under the age of what your state considers to an adult (usually 18 ), you would need permission from your parents to leave. It is not illegal to runaway or leave home without permission, but it would mean that your parents could file a runaway report. The police would then be required to return you home.

We hope that we were of some assistance during this time. Please remember we are here 24/7.

Best Wishes,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X