No announcement yet.

Did i forget violence or just dream it?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did i forget violence or just dream it?

I’m in high school now, but in eighth grade I suddenly started remembering the St. Patricks day when I was in sixth grade. I can’t tell if I forgot about it because it was a really vivid nightmare I had or if it actually happened and I just repressed it. I was sitting on the couch and I heard really loud banging noises and my stepmom came out of the basement and was sobbing and said my dad threw her down the stairs. I was in total shock because I was like 11 and idolized my dad. I just remember not knowing what to do, if I should text one of my friends, or if they were going to get divorced or if my dad was going to go to jail. I don’t remember what happened after that, but I think she told me to go to bed and I waited for the other shoe to drop for a couple days, but nothing happened and I forgot about it until eighth grade. My dad can be really different and irresponsible when he drinks and my stepmom and him fight a lot, so it could have been real, but I don’t know how figure out if it was. Nothing I know of like this has happened since. I can’t ask my stepmom or my dad, at least not until I’m 18, because I’m terrified, and I tried asking my sister if she remembered anything weird about that Saint Patricks day and she said no, but she was in her room so she may have just not heard.
    TLDR: How do I know if an old memory of violence was a dream or not, and if it was, what do I do?

Thank you for reaching out to us. It sounds like you are remembering a really traumatic situation. It must be really hard thinking about something so scary and not being sure if it happened or not. Maybe you can try to talk to someone about it like a guidance counselor or someone you trust. If you don’t have anyone you can talk to contact NAMI at 1800-950-NAMI or text NAMI to 741741. It could be nice to just talk to someone about what is going on so you can figure out if it is something you blocked out. You said you were terrified to talk to your dad because he changes when he drinks but if you have experienced any verbal or emotional abuse please contact Child Help at 1800-422-4453. They can talk to you about reporting any abuse. If you have any other questions and want to talk to us about what options you have you can call us ,NRS, at 1800-RUNAWAY. Best of Luck!
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X