No announcement yet.

Is there anyway for me to get out of my dads house?

  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Is there anyway for me to get out of my dads house?

    Just to give you some basic information, I'm 16, and I'll be turning 17 later this month. My parents are divorced and have split custody over me and my younger siblings. I live in Florida.

    When I was in middle school, my dad was physically and verbally abusive, and me and my mom had tried to get the police involved, but since we really had no evidence, there was nothing we could do. I had thought about running away a lot back then, but I never did. I was really depressed a lot back then, and these past 2 years, things have kinda gotten better, but recently I have not been doing too good.

    I get overwhelmingly depressed at my dads house. I cry before he picks me up from my moms, and I cry at least once a day when I am at his house. My mom is planning on trying to get full custody of me somtime in the future, but I just cant wait any longer. I've been so depressed that it's been affecting my health, so I've been getting sick a lot, and missing school. I have a bedroom at his house, but I try my best not to go in there because it makes me even more depressed. I've been sleeping on the couch for maybe 2 years now because when i slept in my bedroom i would get nightmares and i always had awful memories come back to me since my room is where most of the abuse happened.

    I've tried talking to my dad about letting me live with my mom but he doesn't care. I honestly hate him, which I'm sure is part of the reason I get so depressed. I want to run away so bad, but at the same time I don't. I dont want to miss school if I leave, and I dont want my mom to get worried about me. I also would probably have a panic attack if I were to run away and be found by a police officer or someone like that. There are a lot of pros and cons to weigh... it's hard because I feel like I've gone through every other option and running away is the last option. I've tried looking into getting emancipated, but I would need a job, but my mom doesn't want me to get a job, and I would have no way to get to a job.

    I dont know if there are any other options, but if there are, I'm very open to listening. Thank you for reading.

  • #2
    Thank you for reaching out to us. It sounds like you are having a tough time. It must be hard being back and forth in your parents’ home. If you feel like you are in an unsafe environment, please contact the police or child help at 1800-422-4453 to report any abuse taking place in your father’s home. Maybe you should consider seeing a therapist or speaking with a school counselor about the trauma you have experienced growing up. It seems like being in your father’s home is a trigger for you and it is bringing up a lot of emotions. If you were to talk to a therapist they can give you some ways to cope with the emotions that you are experiencing. If you need a referral to a therapist contact SAMHSA at 1800-662-HELP. If you just want to talk with someone about everything you are experiencing or if you are having a rough day at your father’s home you can text NAMI at 74174.
    It’s understandable that you want to runaway from your father’s home especially considering the circumstances you have been through. If you are under the age of 18 and you leave home without permission, you could be considered a runaway. This means that your parent or legal guardian could call the police, who might force you to return home. Running away is not a crime, however anyone who allows you to stay with them could risk criminal charges for harboring a runaway.
    We are not legal experts, but we can help you get a general sense of how emancipation works. Laws vary depending on your location, but in many states a minor can petition the court for emancipation to take responsibility for their own care before they turn 18. In most cases, this means that you would have to prove in court that you have an income and can care for yourself financially, and that you are able to live separately from your parents. If you want more information or to discuss other options don’t hesitate to call us at 1800-Runaway. Best of Luck!

    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove