My mom's mentally abusive

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My mom's mentally abusive

My mom has always been mentally abusive she's taught me to lie and not trust cops and I have ptsd suicidal thoughts and anxiety due to her. I want to leave so bad and my boyfriend is wanting me to report her ASAP. I don't know what to do I want to be okay and all but I cant go to a relative they will take me back. I can live with my boyfriends grandma but I'm not sure if it's legal. I know it's illegal to runaway. I don't know what to do please help.

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out to NRS. It takes a lot of courage to share part of your story and ask for help. You deserve to be treated in a way that makes you feel safe and supported. It is your mom's job to make sure you have a healthy and supportive living environment, and from what you mentioned she is not meeting your needs. It sounds like your mom's mental abuse has been really stressful for you and it is completely understandable you would want to live somewhere you feel safer. It is not illegal to runaway, but it is something you cannot do because of your age. If you do leave home without permission, your mom can file a runaway report. You would not be arrested, but there is a possibility that police would return you home if they know where you are. Your safety is important and you know when it is the best time for you to leave.

You do have the option to file an abuse report. Making a report would involve a social worker to help. This can be a scary decision to make and you do not need to do it alone. The national child abuse hotline can provide more information and support if you want to go this route. They can be contacted at 800-422-4453 or www.childhelphotline.org.

It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things at home right now and like you’re fearing that the situation may end in suicide if things don’t change. Your safety and well-being is important. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-8255 (www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org) is always available if you need someone to talk to about how you have been feeling. Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of.This may be an isolating and lonely time for you, but you are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.

We are here 24/7 to listen and help you brainstorm your next steps. Do not hesitate to reach out (800-786-2929 ; 1800runaway.org) if you want to talk more about your situation and explore options.

Be safe,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X