Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My parents are threatening to take everything away from me.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My parents are threatening to take everything away from me.

I've had many family issues, but this is just getting out of hand. My mother is a liar, my father has anger issues, and my grandma won't stop guilt tripping me. My father has been saying that he'll take everything away from me, and that he's done everything for me, even though he's done literally nothing but stress me out. He's threatening to take away my appointments for an eating disorder I have, and I'm getting to the point where the only option is to leave and live with my aunt and uncle, but I can't since legally my parents own me. Is there any way I can get out of this situation?

Hi there,
    Thank you so much for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. It takes a lot of courage to reach out in a time of difficulty. Know that you deserve to feel safe, loved, and happy at home.

You mentioned that your father is threatening to cancel counseling appointments for your eating disorder. If he restricts your ability to get help, a resource that could help you is the National Eating Disorder Association (NEDA, 1-800-931-2237). They would be able to provide you with support and information regarding your health.

You also mentioned wanting to leave your parents’ home. One option you have is to reach out to your local non-emergency police with hypothetical and anonymous questions. This would allow you to gauge your rights while maintaining anonymity. The rules vary greatly over the different states and depending on your age and situation (sometimes minors who are married or have children face different rules regarding running away), so reaching out to law enforcement with hypothetical questions, would help you get a clear picture of what you are allowed to do in your circumstance. Another option you have is to reach out to Child Help (1-800-422-4453). They are a resource that specializes in child abuse (abuse includes physical, verbal, sexual, emotional, and neglect) and could help you navigate abuse reporting if that is something you would want to look into. Abuse of any kind is never ok.

Additionally, if you feel as though you could safely talk to your mom or your dad to work out a compromise in terms of living arrangements, here at the NRS, we offer conference calls where you could reach out to us and we would call out to your mom or your dad and moderate a conversation. Because someone here would be moderating the call, we make sure that it is productive and respectful. If this sounds like something you would feel comfortable with, you can reach out to us anytime at 1-800-RUNAWAY.

Know that you can always reach out to us at the National Runaway Safeline (1-800-RUNAWAY) as we are toll-free, confidential, and 24/7.
    Good luck and stay safe,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X