Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't know rather to run away or not

I'm 16, I was recently arrested for a curfew violation and given 24 hours of community service when my dad found out he grounded me for 3 months, but I guess I should start he adopted me when I was 6, ever since then he has been very caring buying me things taking me places an I know he loves me but he gets mad for random things, one time I was woken up to him punching me in the face because my laundry wasn't done, more recently he chased me around the yard yelling at me calling me a fat a** he yells at me so much and I want out but I don't want to leave my 7 year old brother with him because I know how hard it would be on him without me because I love him so much and he loves me but he is my dads full son and he treats him like it to, if he does something wrong I get yelled at for it, I would leave in a heartbeat but I can't leave my brother, he is so close to me and would be heart broken, what do I do?

RE: I don't know rather to run away or not

Hello There!

Thanks for reaching out to us at National Runaway Safeline and sharing your story with us on our public forum. It is not always an easy step to take and we commend your courage in doing so. You sound like a very strong person for having gone through so much already.
    You mentioned having some hesitation with leaving due your younger brother being left alone with your father.If you feel like leaving is what is best for you to regain your safety, by all means do not hesitate to look into what your next steps should be or reaching gout to someone you trust for support to do so.

We are not legal experts here, but typically being under 18 means that parents can contact the police to help bring you home as they are required to do so. Some other things to think about if you do decide to leave: if you will continue your education. How long do you anticipate on being gone or being able to stay where ever you may be? How will you support yourself or who, you will be staying with be willing to support you financially with food, clothing, other personal expenses/ allow you to stay rent free? What if things do not work out here in the future, what will be your back up plan?Are there any other expectations they have of you?

If you want to talk more, please call us at 1800-RUNAWAY

Best Wishes,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
    x
    x
    Working...
    X