No announcement yet.

Living with someone else

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Living with someone else

    Hi, I'm a 14 year old boy from britan. When I was about to turn 13 my dad got a job in America and we moved here. Now it's almost been 2 years and safely my parents want to get a divorec. They said that we will have to move back to britan. I really don't want to go and live back there as I was exposed to drugs and fights whereas my school here offers me a great, safe education. My best friend and her mom have said that they would love for me to stay and live with them till I turn 18 and go to college. I was writing this to ask about how might i express this to my parents and how will I make it legal for me to stay here and what I have to do to let me stay with tgem .

  • #2
    Hi there,

    Thanks for reaching out to NRS. It sounds like you have settled in really well to a new school and have made a really great friend since moving to the United States. It must be frustrating that your parents suddenly want to move you back to Britain where you would have to go to a school that does not meet your needs as well. Unfortunately, it can be very difficult to live away from your parents until your turn 18. The easiest way would be with their permission. It sounds like your friend and her mom are very supportive of you and are more than willing to take care of you. Having your friend's mom talk to your parents with you could help communicate that you would be safe with them and you would be continuing your education and a great school. Additionally, we offer a conference call service where we can talk to your parents with you and advocate for your needs.

    We can best be of help by phone or chat if you would like to talk more in-depth about your next steps. Please do not hesitate to reach out by phone(1-800-786-2929) or use our online chat services at We are here 24/7 to listen and help.

    Good luck,
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp