No announcement yet.

family issues

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • family issues

    im going to tell my guardian that im staying at a friends house, and will be back in a few days. can they call the cops on me for running away? because, if i do go back for an hour or two on the day that i say im going to, and then leave to my friends house again, im not running away, im just disobeying my guardian, right? im planning on doing this today, and i only have a few minutes to wait for a reply, please, please help me? i cant stay in their house getting hurt.

  • #2

    Hello and thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. We’re sorry to hear that you are getting hurt in your home, and if you feel unsafe leaving might be the best option for you. So in the situation you are describing, you actually are running away. Running away is not illegal. You won’t get arrested or go to jail for it. Your parents would be able to file a runaway report with the police. This would allow the police to notify your guardian and return you home if they encountered you.

    If you do not feel safe at home, it might be worth it for you to consider filing a child abuse report. You can learn more about that process and what could come of it by reaching out to the National Child Abuse Hotline at 1-800-422-4453 or

    If you need any clarifications or if you want to ask any further questions, please don’t hesitate to call us on our 24/7 hotline at 1-800-786-2929 or chat us at

    Take care,

    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif