No announcement yet.

Emotionally Abusive Parents

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Emotionally Abusive Parents

    My parents show no love nor empathy toward me at all. They gaslight, manipulate, and bully me. They allow my brother to beat me using the excuse, "you had it coming to you." My grandma protected me from their abusive behavior when I was 4-11. But in 6th grade she was admitted to a retirement home for Alzheimers, and died two years later. I don't know what to do anymore. I've become suicidal, and the only thing that I can think of is moving in with my grandpa. But my uncle lives there, and he loves to threaten and bully me when I'm around. My grandpa might also be unwilling to take me in. I am afraid of leaving my school if it ever came down to me leaving completely, that's where my only friends are. What can I do?

  • #2
    Thank you for taking the time to reach out to us. You are brave to discuss these sensitive issues with us. It sounds like you aren’t getting along with your brother and your parents aren’t acknowledging the problem. It must be hard to be in an environment where individuals aren’t recognizing the issues. I’m sorry to hear that your grandmother who was a support for you passed away. It must be hard not to have the support system you once had. If you feel like you are in an unsafe environment you can contact Child Help at 1800-422-4453 and they can walk you through reporting abuse.

    It’s a good thing that you are thinking of some options since this situation seems to be affecting you so deeply. If you ever have thoughts of suicide and want to talk to someone about those thoughts you can contact the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1800-273-8255. Also it may help to talk to a guidance counselor or therapist, if possible about the way you are feeling so that you can learn some ways to cope or deal with it. You can text NAMI at 741741, is also a good resource if you want someone to talk to about how you are feeling and possibly get referrals to therapist.

    If you decide to runaway and you are a minor, your parents could file a runaway report, if they do then if the police locate you they will return you back to the home. Since you stated that your grandfather is an option. You could try and talk to him about what is going on and discuss what it would look like for you to move there. Ideally you would want to talk to your parents as well and come to some understanding so that everyone is aware. You can do a conference call with us and talk to your parents or grandfather. You could also call and discuss any other options you want to walk through. Remember we are confidential and 24/7 so feel free to reach out to us at 1800-RUNAWAY with any other questions or concerns. Best of luck!
    Last edited by ccsmod3; 09-14-2019, 03:23 AM.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp