I don’t feel safe at home!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don’t feel safe at home!

I am 16 years old and I do not feel safe at home. At home in Michigan my mother emotionally neglects and abuses me, my step father has anger problems and they get so bad I am very afraid of him, my mom is financially unstable, we haven’t been to the dentist in about 6 years and hardly go to the doctors, and she can barely keep food in the house. I am currently on vacation at my grandmothers and she said I can stay as long as I want and it will be a fight if I choose to live with her. I was told I am old enough to decide where I want to live. If I stay here in Colorado with my grandmother what will have to happen? Is it possible for me to stay here without going back to Michigan on my mother’s terms?

Hi there, thanks for reaching out today. Sounds like you are understandably not wanting to home due to the abuse and neglect occurring there with our mom and stepfather. You deserve to feel safe in your own home and here at NRS we truly want to be a support for you.

Generally speaking, the easiest way you can stay in Colorado is with permission. If she hasn't already, you might have your grandma talk to your mom about you staying there past the summer. If you stay without permission, that is when your mom could try to report you as a runaway with local police. It's hard to say what exactly could happen because police response could vary. Generally speaking, if the find you at your grandma's they might try to return you home. You can let them know that you do not feel safe at home and you do feel safe with your grandma. The fact that you are with a family member and safe could help your situation. You also have the right to report any abuse that was going on at home to Child Protective Services if you would like the state to intervene. To learn more about your reporting options you might reach out to the expert child advocates at Child Hlep 1-800-422-4453.

Please do not hesitate to call or chat us if you need any resources or support. We are always here for you.

Best,

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X