Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm 18 and I want to move out

I'm 18 and I want to move out into my boyfriends moms house. But my mom threatened to call the cops on his mom because my mom says that his mom is crazy. My mom knows how I am, I don't want to get others in trouble because of me..I believe she is manipulating me so I stay. My mom also said that it'll make her look like a bad parent. What do I do?

Re: I'm 18 and I want to move out

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. It sounds like you’re in a pretty tough spot but we’re really glad you shared a bit of your story with us. We’re here to help out as much as we can.

You shared that you are 18, and you want to live at your boyfriend’s mom’s house. It sounds like this has got to be a pretty supportive environment for you if you are thinking about moving in there which is good to hear. We’re not legal experts, but generally if you leave without consent from legal guardians before the age of 18, they would have the right to make a runaway report. In most states, the legal age of an adult is 18, meaning at 18 you would have the right to determine where you live. If you have any questions about whether or not this is the case in your state, you could call your local law enforcement and just ask hypothetically.

We’re not here to tell you what you should or should not do, we’re just here to help keep you safe in what you decide. If you would like to talk more through your options, please do not hesitate to call or chat with us and we can help you out as much as possible.

Best,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    Tell us what you think about your experience!

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X