Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I can't live here; I feel like there's no way out.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can't live here; I feel like there's no way out.

Hi, I'm an almost-15-year-old girl. My dad is an alcoholic. He is emotionally and mentally abusive to my mother, me, and used to be to my siblings(they've moved out). He has gotten violent on a few occasions with my siblings and mother but never with me. I can never feel safe. I've begged my mom to leave him, if not for herself, than me. She just avoids talking about it and says things will get better. She's been saying that since my brother(the oldest) was a child. I don't know where I'll be, but I can't be here. I don't think I have many options. I feel like running away is my only choice. I don't want to become a crack-addicted hobo, but I don't want to end up dead either. Thanks for listening.

Re: I can't live here; I feel like there's no way out.

Hi there,

Thank you so much for reaching out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you have really been going through a lot at home and we’re really glad you opened up about all of this. It sounds extremely stressful for you at home. We’re here to support you the best that we can.

It sounds like you’re thinking about leaving home because of your dad’s alcoholic addiction. This is a very serious thing and it’s understandable why you would want to get out. It sounds like he has become violent in some instances due to the use of alcohol. It’s got to be scary to see/be around this. It has to be even harder to beg your mom to get out for the safety of your family and have her ignore it. It sounds like you have been extremely hurt by this which makes sense. You deserve to feel safe in your own home.

While we are not experts, we know that no individual has control over another person’s actions/behaviors. This can make it even more frustrating to watch your dad active in his addiction, your mom’s tendency to enable him and his actions. There is something that you may find helpful to cope with both of these things, it’s called Al Anon and/or Ala Teen- an organization that is for loved ones of alcoholics and addicts and you can explore this more here: http://al-anon.org/find-a-meeting. There is also a hotline you may be able to call if that is preferable to you: Families Anonymous at (800) 736 9805.

You shared that you feel running away is your only option. We’re not here to tell you what you should or should not do, we’re just here to help keep you safe in what you decide. If you would like to talk more with us about possibilities, places to potentially stay, and options, please do not hesitate to get in touch. We’re here to help you the best that we can at (800) RUNAWAY (786 2929).

Stay safe,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    Tell us what you think about your experience!

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X