Can I lock my son out?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I lock my son out?

My son keeps leaving the house without asking to go places he won’t tell me. He stays out for sometimes over 6 hours, I’m tired of having to let him back in the house when he does this, am I legally allowed to lock him out for a day to teach him a lesson?

Hey there,

Thanks so much for reaching out and sharing a little bit about what has been going on, we know that it takes a lot of courage. We know that it can be exhausting to have a child who is defiant. Generally speaking, refusing to provide your son with shelter, even if just for a day/night can be considered neglect and is grounds for a CPS investigation. Some families find family counseling or mediated conversations to be a helpful tool in increasing understanding and communication between all family members. You can always ask a family member, friend, school counselor/social to help mediate a conversation between you and your son or you can contact us directly and we can help local a family counseling agency in your area.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

Stay safe,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X