Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my divorced parents favor my sister and i feel alone

hi, my name is z and i am 14 years old, i have 12 year old sister and my parents are divorced. i know for sure this is going to sound fake, but hear me out. my mom, who my sister and i live with most of the time, works 3 jobs. she works from home a lot so i rarely see her but she still cooks for us and cleans and sets some time aside for us. i see my dad 8 days a month, i feel like he knows how to act around a woman he's involved with romantically, but not his daughters. he touches my butt a lot, despite me having told him not to on multiple occasions. he's done it in the middle of a coffee shop and i had to tell him to stop, it was humiliating. in the car when i sit in the passenger seat he puts his hand on my upper thigh which is uncomfortable. even though i heard him on the phone last year saying my sister is prettier than i am, he does none of this to her. i was recently diagnosed with clinical depression and, even though we've tried other methods, my parents refuse to medicate me or take me to a psychiatrist because it's expensive, yet they buy my sister expensive sports gear and pay for her to get involved in many clubs. recently, i lost all of my friends. they drew me away from an old group of friends and then pushed me away, leaving me with no one. the only remaining person i believe cares about me is my best friend who lives on the south coast of the united states and i live on the east coast. i really want to run away to be closer to him, but i don't know how to get there. i know i can't take the bus or train because that requires parents to sign a form in person, but i'm afraid to hitch hike. bicycling seems like a daunting task but i'm willing to do anything. help?

re: my divorced parents favor my sister and i feel alone

Hi there,

It seems like you and your parents don't seem to get along well, and you are feeling like they show more attention to your sister rather than you. That definitely sounds hurtful to deal with! It's understandable that it would make you want to leave. You mentioned that your parents are divorced and you see your dad only a few days during the month. From what you shared, it sounds like your dad is touching you in ways that you aren't comfortable with. And you don't deserve to have to deal with that. Could it be helpful to talk to your mom about it and see if that helps? If not, there are resources out there to help if you are willing to talk with someone. There is RAINN (1-800-656-4673) and Child Help USA (1-800-422-4453) that you can reach out to. Both deal with issues of abuse and can give you ways to stay safe.

As far as running away, being that you are 14 that could be difficult to go through with. If your family files a runaway report for you, there is a chance that you could be made to go back home. Also, you mentioned biking or hitchhiking across the country to be with your friend. These may not be ideal situations, since biking on the freeway is illegal in most places. And hitchhiking can be a dangerous situation to you. You may want to consider other ways you can stay safe or work out things at home. If you need us, we are here to help you think things through.

Take care and be safe,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X