Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Step-dads aren't ony antagonists in movies(they are in real life also)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Step-dads aren't ony antagonists in movies(they are in real life also)

I am 14 years old and I am being emotionally abused by my mother and step-dad. Ever since I was a kid, I always dreamed of what it would be like living with my dad. I normally saw him, his girlfriend, and my siblings on the weekends. My mom had a constant despise for my dad, even more so now that he is happily married. As long as I could remember my mom would always bad-talk my dad to me behind his back.
    She refuses to refer to me as a teenager, expects me to give 110% every day on chores, in school, and in behavior. Last year I was getting referrals left and right. This year, I've gotten no referrals and I've kept straight A's all year(the only 8th grader to do so.) I'm never awarded for my achievements or meeting her expectations. Instead, if I start to slack in any sector, she punishes me for it.
    She hates being wrong in any situation and if I prove her wrong she'll yell,"You are a child and speaking to your elders that way. You don't even realize how disrespectful that is." Then, the problem never gets solved. Anytime we meet new people together, she brings up all the bad I've done in the past and tells the person to expect to be disappointed. I'm trying so hard to do as she says and she's making it abhorrently trying.
    When she got married last year, she had been dating my step-dad for over three years. I've always known I was the least liked sibling. I've got an older sister who's so funny and a younger sister who is spoiled like I wished I was. Since they've gotten married, I've only been yelled at more by them than I was when I was constantly being suspended. He's a budding alcoholic and the only thing he seemingly cares about is 'hanging out'. Mind you he's 50 and behaves like a child. He explodes spontaneously and criticizes everything. He throws his trash anywhere and yells at me when a particular room is messy. Neither my mom nor he cleans a thing. My sister and I do all of the cleanings. My mom is constantly gaining weight and she calls me to do simple tasks such as plugging in her charger that is right next to her ALL THROUGHOUT THE DAY.
    My step-dad told me last week that he's going to kick me out. He constantly down talks my father to me and every single time I'm depressed because I love my father in spite of his imperfections and they hate him. They despise my relationship with him and his wife and criticize me at every turn. I'm sick of this and I'm so depressed every time I'm home. I think about suicide constantly and I enjoy school more than I enjoy being home because I don't have to be near them for a prolonged period.

RE: Step-dads aren't ony antagonists in movies(they are in real life also)

Hello,
    Thanks for reaching out to us today. It sounds like things at home have been really tough lately. We’re so sorry to hear that. You don’t deserve to be treated so poorly by your mom and your step-father in your own home.
    It sounds like you might have tried talking to them already, but maybe you have another trusted adult or family member that might be able to help you talk to your mom and step-father. Sometimes, if you bring another adult into the mix, people who have been ignoring you might start to pay attention. It sounds like they’re not really the type to listen to you if you complained about their behavior. If you can’t think of anyone to help you with this, you could try calling in here at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) and we could act as a mediator between you and your step-dad about how you’re being treated at home.
    It might also benefit you to open up to a school counselor or a trusted adult (or teacher). Sometimes having another adult’s perspective, and one that knows you, can be really helpful. Sometimes it’s just good to open up and tell someone how you’ve been feeling. You could call us to do that too. We’re here to listen.
    Since you mentioned suicide, we do want you to be aware that the next time you are feeling so low you’d consider hurting yourself that there is help. The people at the National Suicide Prevention Hotline are very skilled at talking you down when you’re feeling your worst. Please consider giving them a call at 1-800-273-TALK.
    We hope you found this information helpful. Please call us if you need anything else.
    Best of luck,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X