Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Step-Dad Assaults My Mother

So ever since me and my mom moved in with my step-dad and his two sons, we’ve had A LOT of arguments and then my step-dad started grabbing my mom by the neck and hitting her with stuff for little things like moving clothes about and not being able to find the house key. They keep on calling each other mad and crazy. My step-dad hasn’t really done anything for me or my mom and my mom is the one supplying us with food, clothes etc. But the thing that makes me angry the most is that my step-dad always finds a way to blame me when they are arguing. I don’t know what to do since I don’t have many people to go to for support. Thank You.
    - N

Hey N,

Thank you so much for reaching out and sharing a little bit about what's been going on, we know that it takes a lot of courage. Your stepdad's actions towards your mom are not OK and no one deserves to be hit or grabbed.
    Leaving a situation where your partner hurts you can be really hard and your mom may not be ready to do so. There are a lot of reasons that people stay in abusive relationships (money, stability, fear of further violence, love, judgment from others). You can always suggest that your mom try calling the National Domestic Violence Hotline by calling 800-799-7233 or going to thehotline.org. They may be able to help create a plan for your mom to leave your stepdad (if that is something she wants to do) or create a safety plan in case your stepdad acts like this again.

It sounds like life at home is really tense and it can be really hard without a support system in place. It may be a good idea to talk with your mom directly about how her and your stepdad's fighting and the blame that's being put on you makes you feel. It could be a good idea to work with a local family counselor or have a conversation mediated by a school counselor/social worker, trusted friend, or family member to help clear the air. If you'd like, you can also call us directly and we can conduct a conference call with your mom so you have a safe environment where you can express yourself.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

Stay safe,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
    x
    x
    Working...
    X