No announcement yet.

I hate my mom and want to live with a non relative

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I hate my mom and want to live with a non relative

    I am 13, i do not wish to live with my only biological parent because she drinks a lot she fights with me and my brother a lot and as a 13 year old thats a lot of stress because last year i lost my grandpa and dad and i loved my dad but i always wanted to live with my mom until i was forced to then i saw her true nature she drinks a lot she talks to herself and i just really hate it, now im living with my 2 brother and mom in a very small house. Now my step mom (my dads ex) she is really kind and caring and she lives close to my old school that i love but since she is not biological i can not legally move in with her. So if i could get any help with this situation that would be great

  • #2
    Hi, and thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It certainly sounds like a lot of stress for anyone to deal with, let alone someone who is 13.

    You are right in that you probably couldn’t legally move to your stepmoms at this point unless your mom would give you permission, or, unless your stepmom could get custody of you. For your stepmom to get custody, it would likely require the courts involvement. You are welcome to look at to see if anything there might be helpful, or, if you’d like us to look up a local legal resource, we’d be happy to do that as well.

    Having a parent who drinks can be difficult. There is an organization called Al-Anon ( that offers support for people who are affected by family members who drink. They have teen specific support as well.

    We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We could likely help best if you call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or chat with us ( as we are unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin. Hope to hear from you soon. Best, NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp