Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm 17

Hi I'm 17 years old and live in Texas! And I want to know if I move out and not tell me parents anything will I get in trouble with the law! I have a place to stay! My dad and his wife are tired of me and always say to leave but when I do they always try to keep me home! What do i do?

Re: I'm 17

Hi there,

Thank you so much for reaching out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you’re in a pretty frustrating situation and we are sorry to hear about this. We’re really glad that you reached out, we’re here to help as much as we can.

It sounds like you are wanting to leave home at the age of 17 without consent from legal guardians. It’s understandable why you would want to leave if you are repeatedly being told to leave from your dad and step mom. It’s great to know that you have a safe place to stay, sometimes that can be a bit difficult.

We are not legal experts, but generally if you do leave without permission from legal guardians, they would have the right to make a runaway report. If a report is made, and the police find you they typically would just bring you back home. However, anyone that you stay with could potentially be charged for harboring. The laws vary by state, and the way that the police respond can vary by your location as well- even by the individual police department. To get more clear answers, you have the option of calling your local law enforcement and asking hypothetical questions about the way that they would handle the situation.

Please do not hesitate to call or chat with us to talk more. We’re here to support you.

Best,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    Tell us what you think about your experience!

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X