Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Move out

My parents are extremely abusive to just me, they hit me, verbally and emotionally abuse me as well. Today I went to the movies with my friend and it ran a little longer than I expected and I came back around 10:30pm. My dad threw all my stuff downstairs and says I am not allowed to go back upstairs to my room, and to bring the rest of the stuff down tomorrow. I don't know what to do, I can't live like this anymore. I'm constantly criticised, abused and scapegoated. I want to leave this house, because I have severe depression and a lot of other mental health issues bc of them. I'm 16 and I will turn 17 in 3 months. How can I move out ? Will the government help me because I don't have the money.

re: Move out

Hey there,

You seem to be having a lot of trouble with your parents being abusive towards you. You don't deserve to be treated like that. We really appreciate you reaching out to us for help. It's understandable that you want to leave, however it can be really difficult to do so since you are 16. Most likely there are no programs from the government that will help you to run away. Your parents are legally responsible for you until you are 18. So even if you do go to a shelter, those are temporary and they often try to reach out to your parents/guardians after staying there a while. Being 17 doesn't necessarily make it legal for you to move out at that time. If you would like, you can reach out to us by chat or phone and we can talk with you about other options or ideas to stay safe.

Best,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Re: move out

I'm in Wisconsin, is there anyway I can leave? My friend's family is willing to let me stay with them, I'm worried about the money and how they'll be able to support me. Is there anyway I can get help?

Comment

re: Move out

Hello,

From what you shared, it sounds like you are looking for financial help to support yourself if you run away. At this time, there is nothing that we know of that will help youth financially who run away. Legally, harboring a runaway is a crime. So if you are under 18, there will most likely not be any resources that will help you to stay away from home. Let us know if you have any other questions.

Take care,
        NRS
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
        [email protected] (Crisis Email)
        1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
        https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x
        or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
        x
        x
        Working...
        X