No announcement yet.

How do I move in full time with one parent

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How do I move in full time with one parent

    So me and my dad have had problems for the last 5 years almost non-stop ( I am currently 16 ) and things just don't seem to get better. He's just very negative and used to be a little but not to severely physically abusive ( used to try to choke me and hit me every ounce in awhile but now that I am taller than him it's not much of an issue ) and is to this date emotionally abusive and has a big temper issue and is extremely controlling sometimes for no reason ( took my door for no reason always invading privacy and trying to catch me doing drugs or something, somewhat is understandable but he does it aggressively, constantly, and almost religiously ) and Is always acting out unreasonably taking all I care about for little to no reason. Now this hasn't gotten any better and although my mom isn't against me moving in with her, my dad is and as I mentioned is very aggressive and has a temper problem and my mom is passive and a push over so she seems to take a neutral approach to it and doesn't seem to really help me make any progress. I heard as long as I meet certain living conditions I can move out when I'm 17 so I was going to wait but due to recent events it's becoming unbearable. I also recently heard to some classmates who are under 17 that they were able to fill out some paper work and go to court to choose which parent to live with and I was just wondering what I can do to make this possible. Thank you

  • #2
    RE: How do I move in full time with one parent

    Hello there,
    Thanks for reaching out to us today. We’re so sorry to hear about all this trouble you’re having with your father. His aggressive behavior sounds scary to live with and it’s understandable that you’d want to leave your home and live with mom. Everyone has the right to feel safe and secure in their own home and it sounds like dad consistently violates your right to privacy as well.
    All that you’re wondering might depend on a few different factors. If your mother and father have shared custody, you might be able to move in with her. If mom does not have custody, it is hard to say if you’d be able to move without dad’s consent. Either way, we are not legal experts, but we could connect you to a legal aid if you wanted to speak directly to someone who might be able to help you. The same goes for the things you heard from classmates at school, we really can’t confirm if any of that is true unless we were certified as lawyers.
    If this option sounds like something you’d want, please call us directly at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We wouldn’t be able to post the phone number for a legal aid here on this website so please reach out to us. We’re 24/7 and confidential.
    Best of luck,
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif