Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I feel like my grandma is verbally abusing me ,scared she’ll resort to violence.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I feel like my grandma is verbally abusing me ,scared she’ll resort to violence.

I’m a 16yr old girl in a family with my grandma and mom. Ever sense my grandpa passed three years ago my grandma has been increasing biter and possibly verbally abusive. She constantly “teases “ me about how I’m supposed to be different how I’m untalented a slacker ( even though I have a job) . Everyday brings up one thing she doesn’t like about how I look. If I even sound ungrateful she’ll smack me upside the head or hit me but not to the point it’s abusive. When she found out about my cuts two years ago she yelled and scolded me but not in a way that she cared . She constantly talks bad about me and my mom. Never talks about my accomplishments and treats me like a baby as soon as my lip even wavers. If I try to justify myself she’ll say I’m ungrateful and giving attitude. Blames for anything that’s gone wrong. Tells me I talk too much or to little. When I got a boyfriend she’d said “if he goes to the gym he’ll find a way prettier girl and leave you! When my boyfriend dropped me home from work late due to his shift ending later She kept going on about no matter if you’re there or not I need to get home ASAP now and if I ride with anyone and get home late that I need a damn good reason. I’m expected home by a certain time and if I don’t get back by then I’ll be in trouble. She constantly makes fun of my intelligence even though I stay in all honors for six years without studying. My mom just shrugs it off and says she’s just grumpy. It’s gotten to the point I get upset to my stomach even thinking about going home and I’ve now attempted suicide twenty times. When I bring up my feelings she says I’m a pansy and overly sensitive. Even though I hate crying or showing sadness. I’m scared she’ll grow violent but idk I can’t tell if she’s just mean or verbally abusive What do I do?

Hey there,
    Thanks so much for contacting us, it takes a lot of courage to reach out and share your story. It must be really hard to live in a home with so much tension. Your grandma's actions sound really hurtful and you deserve to live somewhere where you feel safe.

We know that stressors like this can be overwhelming at times and it sounds like you have turned to self-injury as a way to cope. It’s totally understandable that you would want to do something to give you a feeling of power and control when you may feel hopeless. To Write Love on Her Arms is an organization dedicated to supporting people who use this coping mechanism on their road to self-realization and recovery. You can check them out by going to https://twloha.com/. You also mentioned that you have attempted suicide about 20 times. You don't have to face these kinds of feelings alone. If you are thinking about hurting yourself, the National Suicide Hotline could be a good resource for you. You can check them out at https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/, or you can call 1-800-273-8255 for help and support any time.

It sounds like your grandma isn’t listening to you when you are trying to express your thoughts and feelings about your current situation. It could be a good idea to work with a local family counselor or have a conversation mediated by a school counselor/social worker, trusted friend, or family member to help clear the air. If you'd like, you can also call us directly and we can conduct a conference call with your grandma so you have a safe environment where you can express yourself.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

Stay safe,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
    x
    x
    Working...
    X