I don’t feel safe with my dad

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don’t feel safe with my dad

I mostly live with my mom, I only see my dad two times a week. I always hate going there, but my mom isn’t going to do anything to try and help. Almost every time me and my brother who is 16, I’m 14, our dad yells at us. He usually yells at my brother, but sometimes he yells at me too. A few years ago I was too scared to do something and he got mad at me and hit my back, not hard enough to seriously hurt me but hard enough to make me do it. I told my mom and she didn’t do anything! And then the next time I had to go, I was going to school and had a major panic attack, I was in fifth grade and I threw up in front of the whole school. My mom was busy and couldn’t come get me, which meant my dad had to. I really didn’t want them to call him so I tried to make up an excuse for him to not pick me up, but they had to try before calling anyone else. Nowadays, I have a half brother on my dads side and he’s four. I always have to take care of him, not my brother who is older, and not my dad who should be taking care of him. I’m always too scared to talk to my dad because I don’t want to get yelled at. I usually don’t talk at all at his house, and here’s why. Today, I asked my brother, who can legally drive, to drive us home right after lunch and he agreed. When it comes time, he says he’s going to go swimming with our dad, but I really didn’t want to stay any longer so I argued with him. He finally agreed, but then he tattled on me to our dad and he yelled at me. I can’t mentally handle being in trouble, or getting yelled at, or even someone being mad at me. I cry basically every time I’m at his house. I’m constantly in fear of getting hurt or yelled at again. My brother always gets yelled at every time we’re here, and hearing them yelling makes me want to just lay in bed and not get up again. I have no clue what to do anymore.

Hello There,
    Thank you for contacting The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen. It sounds like you are going through a pretty difficult time right now. Being around yelling can be really frustrating.
    One option you could consider is trying to talk with your dad about how you feel. At NRS we offer conference calling where if you call us we call out to your parent and have a conference call. Conference calling allows you to be heard and we are there to mediate the conversation and provide support to you.
    Another option you could consider is talking to a therapist about what is going on at home. Sometimes talking to a professional can help you feel better and they will provide you with some resources.
    You can also try to do calming techniques every time you feel a panic attack about to come on. You can try taking deep breaths or sometimes going on a walk may help. Also if you have any friends that you would feel comfortable talking to that may help as well.
    We hope this information will be helpful to you in your situation. If you have any questions or would like to explore your options further please give us a call. We are here 24/7 to listen and to provide support. We wish you the best of luck!
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X