No announcement yet.

oklahoma law on 16yr old move out

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • oklahoma law on 16yr old move out

    16yr old living in edmond oklahoma. wants to move out with 28yr old relative. the 28yr d relatove currently lives with the minor and her family.

    there are plenty issues including the mother always placing blame on minor and the minor is responsible for her 8yr old brother and everything else in the house including cleaning and laundry.

    i realize these are difficult issues to file for emancipation and the minor would not like to file for emancipation.

    the basic question is the minor(16yr) wants to move out with the relative who is 28 and holds a job and is the minors cousin. it is also worth noting that the minor has a steady part time job and is going to stay in school district to get her diploma. .

    also my basic question isn't all that basic. if possible i need more information as there is another minor(16yr) living in he house who my cousin got custody of die to mother and step father being homeless and addicted to meth. if anyone has information on her getting emancipated that would be great.

    sorry if it's too long. i can provide more details if needed. thank you to anyone who reads this. my family and i have long wanted to get these kids out of this situation. this may give the mi or a chance.

    thanks again!

  • #2
    It sounds like you are interested in emancipation. We are not legal experts, but we can help you get a general sense of how emancipation works. Our general understanding is some states offer formal emancipation statutes while others do not unfortunately. Laws vary depending on your location, but in many states a minor can petition the court for emancipation to take responsibility for their own care before they turn 18. Generally speaking, courts are wary about granting emancipation. In most cases, you would have to prove in court that you have an income and can care for yourself financially, and that you are able to live separately from your parents. It also helps to be in good standing at school. The court will also factor in the mental and physical welfare of your parents in order to establish your best interest. Usually your legal guardian would have to agree to this in court. Once you are emancipated, you can legally choose where you live, but you might still find that you cannot sign a lease or build credit until you turn 18. The emancipation process can take several months or up to a year, and may cost money in the form of court fees and other expenses. Usually, the best way to learn about emancipation in your state is to contact a lawyer. You may also find information at your county family court. We can look up legal aid resources that may be able to help you with the process. Please do not hesitate to call or chat if you have questions, need legal resources, or need to talk. We can explore your situation, go over all your options, and come up with a plan and resources to deal with your situation over the phone or on live chat. We are looking forward to hearing from you soon, and wish you the best of luck.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp