i dont know what to do

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i dont know what to do

my parents haven't ever been mean to me but we've never got along very well. i'm young but i'm really smart and i have some money. my parents were called into my school because they think i'm mentally instable (the school). if they decide i need psychiatric help i'm pretty sure i'm going to runaway. i don't have very close freinds but there's one person who i trust. i'm not sure if i should talk to them about this or not, i don't know if they would take me seriously. they are only a year older than me (still in 7th grade). i wish i could talk to someone but i don't know who. i have no idea what to do. help please.

Re: i dont know what to do

Thanks so much for writing us at the National Runaway Switchboard. It sounds like your dealing with a pretty difficult situation at the moment and are not sure exactly what to do. You mentioned that things at home are okay but that you and your parents rarely get along. How long have you felt like this at home? Have you ever spoken with your parents about how you feel? You mentioned that you haven’t really been able to speak with anyone else about the situation, but you are thinking about talking with an older friend you have. What do you think they will say about what’s going on? Do you think it would be helpful to talk with them? Sometimes it can help to get an outside opinion, but it also seems like it is important for you to feel comfortable talking with them. Is there anyone else you feel like you can speak with about this?

It sounds like one of the reasons that you started thinking about running away was because of conflict at school. You mentioned that the school thinks you’re “mentally unstable” and that they want to talk with your parents. Did something happen that they started to say that? Have you spoken with your parents at all about the situation? If you do decide to runaway have you thought about where you would go? Do you have a safe place you could stay? How do you think your parents would react if you left?

We’re glad that you were able to write in and tell us a bit about your situation, it’s not always easy to open up and discuss things like this. If you felt like you wanted to talk more about the situation you can always give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY. We are a completely confidential hotline that is available 24 hours a day. We are not here to tell you what to do, but rather to discuss the situation with you, talk about options, and provide resources if that is something you are looking for. In the meantime stay safe and take care, and remember that we are here anytime you need us.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

I think you should keep an open mind to speaking with a professional about your problem. Relax and be honest with them. Depending on what the school's concerns are it might be a very good thing for you. Also anyone can use an extra pair of ears to bounce ideas off of. Your friend might be able to offer some support. You may have to gauge how explicit you are about your problem depending on what it is. Another child may have a hard time wrapping his brain around your problem and it might frighten him or her a little so yes talk to them but ease into it and judge gradually if they are going to be able to handle it enough to offer you support. I wish you luck. I will be praying all goes well.

Comment

Thanks for offering your insight on the poster's situation.
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
        [email protected] (Crisis Email)
        1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
        https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x
        x
        Working...
        X