Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When I turn 18 I plan on running away, can my mom make me come home?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When I turn 18 I plan on running away, can my mom make me come home?

I am 17 right now and I turn 18 in a few months. I told my mom about my plan to leave and every time I do she says that if she wants me to stay then she can make me stay. I'm wondering if this is possible once I turn 18. Is there any way she can bring me back? I live in Florida right now and I plan on running away to Pennsylvania.

Hello –

Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to reach out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline on our public forum. We are always here to listen and here to help in any way that we can. Hopefully we can help you out during your time of need.

Like you have probably seen in other threads or even this one that we go over the general runaway laws a lot. Now considering that information, once you are now 18 years old, you would be considered a legal adult and can’t be forced home and your parents can’t file a runaway report with the police as leaving home won't be considered "running away". Simply just leaving home to live in another location.

Now if you haven’t told them where you are or have cut all communication with your parents, they can call the police still but to file a missing person’s report rather than a runaway report. It wouldn’t affect you at all though because they don’t normally come up on background checks. You can always go to the non-emergency police and tell them that you aren’t missing. Again, as an adult, you have the right to decide where you live and your parents cannot force you to do anything.

Hope this information helps!
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X