Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Step-mom

A quick rundown of my life is in order. My mom gave me up when I was 1 1/2 to my dad and step-mom because she didnt want me. Later in my life my dad was arrested for drugs and is in prison. Ever since then ive lived here at home with my step-mom (im 18 by the way) Im a student at the community college and I have a part time job and I dont make very much money. Im constantly yelled at here at home and Im sick of it. I dont party, drink, do drugs, go out. I sit here at home and play games in my free time. Im at school or work every day and I pay for my car and I pay our internet bill and because I play my games I have offered to pay for half the electric bill. Tonight was the final straw, I was playing my game relaxing and I hadnt ate all day (it was now 11:45 PM) and I figured I would go microwave me something to eat. Apparently that was a mistake because she got up and yelled at me and after she was done she went back to bed and I went back to my room where I ate my food. about the time I finished eating she came in here and yelled at me for playing my game and wasting her electricity that I dont pay for so I told her I would so I tried to give her $100 and she threw it at me and cussed me some more and then left. I turned everything off and sat here in the dark and contemplated what to do next and this is where I am at now. Please help me.

Re: Step-mom

Thank you for contacting us at the National Runaway Switchboard during your time of need. It can be very difficult to talk about things when you are having a hard time and we are glad that you felt comfortable reaching out to us.

We are sorry to hear about the difficult time you are having with your step-mom. You said that your dad was arrested and in prison for drugs. How old were you when this happened? Do you know when he will be released? What was your relationship like with your step-mom before his arrest? Has it changed a lot? Have you ever tried talking to her about what’s going on with your dad? Is that something you would be comfortable doing? In the past, when you offered to pay for half the electricity bill, what has she said?

We are glad to hear that you are attending school and working part time. Those can be difficult things to try and do at the same time. You said that you also enjoy playing games. Are there any other things you enjoy doing?

It can be hard to have someone you live with constantly yelling at you, especially when you are taking care of yourself. Nobody deserves that and everyone deserves to live in a safe environment. What are some of the things that she yells at you about? You stated that you are either at work or school every day; is there anything at school that you may be able to become involved in (i.e. extracurricular activities)?

Have you ever tried talking to a counselor or therapist about what is going on? If this is something you would be interested in, you can call us here and we can help you find one. We also do conference calling if you aren’t comfortable doing so yourself. Another hotline that will have referrals in the Covenant House Nineline; they can be reached at 1-800-999-9999 or http://www.covenanthouse.org. They are also a 24 hour, 7 day a week agency.

There is also Families Anonymous, which is a support group for relatives of people who have a drug or alcohol problem. Their number is 1-800-736-9805 and their website is http://www.familiesanonymous.org. You can find a group that is located near through either of these.

You can call us here at 1-800-RUNAWAY; we are a 24/7, anonymous, confidential crisis hotline. We hope to hear from you soon.

Thank you,

~NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

well she yells about anything and everything. I dont have time for extra activities and if I was to sign up for them she would yell more. Video games are my only escape. I dont have any friends and I think I am clinically depressed. as for the electric bill shes always said she didnt want my money. I never really knew my dad he was always gone and she yelled then too. today I got yelled at because a water pipe in the basement burst and it cost her water bill to be higher.

Comment

Thanks for sharing a little more with us about what’s going on. It seems like there aren’t a lot of good escapes for you right now. It’s probably incredibly difficult to always have her yelling at you for things that aren’t really your fault. You’re very strong for dealing with it as long as you have. Just remember that you’re not alone in all this. We’re here 24 hours a day, seven days a week if you ever want to just vent about what’s going on. We’d be happy to listen to you and talk to you about different options. If there’s something specific you need and can’t call, please let us know via the bulletins and we’ll do our best to help you out. We’ll be here if and when you decide to call!
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

Comment

Oh Dear, You need to take a deep breath. You need to find a way to get out on your own. Save up some money. Rent a room somewhere to start. If it is to expensive to rent a room where you are at think about relocating. Sounds like your step mom is keeping you down. Sounds like she is mad at the world and taking it out on you. You have two choices. Figure out a way to mentally block out her verbal attacks or figure out a way to get out on your own. Try and get some counseling. Perhaps if there is a women's resource group near by they can help. Community counseling might be something you want to look into. Don't worry if she yells at you or calls you name's for getting help. You can not live your life in the shadow of her misery. If you get yourself mentally healthy and safe you can then try to reason with her. I am praying for you. No one deserves to be treated like this. In the mean time try to get more hours at work, go to the library, or YMCA. Often the YMCA has scholarships too. Not sure if you'd need one just letting you know. When she harasses you about not being home let her know you have to work on improving yourself. Make sure she knows it's about you and that you are not attacking her. I will pray for you. I wish you much luck. Things can improve if you want it bad enough.

Comment

Thanks for making some good suggestions on how the poster can help better her situation. It's always nice to know that others care.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            x
            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
            x
            or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
            x
            x
            Working...
            X